Are pansies annuals or perinneals?

Reaction score
I always thought pansies were annuals, but I see them year round. I say some on my way home from work this morning. They were mulched, of course, but it is getting down to the 20's at night. My grandfather still has the ones that he planted last year and they aren't mulched.

Reaction score
Pansies are annuals but they are very temperature tolerant. I live in northeastern CT and pansies are sold in the early spring as as in fall. They can handle colder temps and even survive a freeze. Yet, they do brilliantly in the heat as long as they get lots of water and deadheading.

Reaction score
Pansies are annuals. They do require a lot of water during the summer.
I didn't realize pansies could survive a frost. I always cover mine when there is a threat of frost.

Reaction score
firelily - is right in saying that most pansies would be regarded as annuals rather than perennials, however some of the newer varieties of winter pansy are now regarded as short lived perennials, due to the fact - that they can withstand the various climatic changes that pansies wouldn't normally be able to cope with.
By short lived perennial, I mean that even though they may well survive for a year or more - they would normally need replacing after a year - not because they die down but because they tend to get very leggy and untidy and therefore lose their beauty.

Ask a Question