What annuals do you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most of my garden is filled with perennials. But I still can't resist filling some planters with annuals. However I'm fairly unimaginative. :rolleyes: Cosmos, petunias, zinnias, every year.

Help me break out of my rut! What do you plant every spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last year did a long thing of cosmos. this year seeded the long planter with zinnias and a short variety of tiny eggplant, will grow together. But for the most part I don't annual it much. did get a nice hanging petunias for my mail box this year, see how it goes. Couple years ago I put a small piece of a hardy geranium in a hanging pot, and it comes back every year.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have some annuals I really love ... snap dragons, petunias, geraniums, impatiens, gerbera daisies, pansies ... they're all a must have for me each year. I sometimes put in coleus and of course lots of annual herbs like basils :)
'

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Without fail, I have to have 4 o'clocks and pansies.

When I feel I'm in a rut, I like to buy caladium. So many bright colors!! :cool:

TKP665

zone 9, ornamentals
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
marigolds, zinna, forget-me-nots, alyssum, daisies, foxglove (it's an annual here), dianthus, petunias, million bells.

Reaction score
Eh I'm quote unoriginal since I usually raise daisies, geraniums and zinnias as well but when the weather is right I take of seasonal orchids-- it's a hobby that came from my mom she grew them before giving me one of my own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Dianthus, Petunias and Marigolds are my favorite annual flower. I love the vibrant colors they have. Even though I have more perennials than anything, I still have to plant these annuals every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm unoriginal too, I guess! I do try to put more energy into perennials. But there are so many cool and interesting annuals out there...I dug out some more containers so this weekend I'll go shopping for more. And I will definitely get more adventurous!

Bonus question: What annuals smell good? Petunias can, depending on variety. And something I planted years back, some sort of nicotine plant, was really fragrant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not a big fan of annuals but I do like snapdragons because 1) I just simply love their unique variety of flower colors and shape 2) I use them as a deer deterrent by planting it around my dwarf Japanese(2 ft) maple. Snapdragons are probably the only annuals I'll be buying every year but other than that I don't want any annuals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have planted Zinnias for customers. Grandfather can grow the tall Zinnias from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last year the plight of impatients seemed to be over, so I was able to plant out my mail box pot, will do that again. Picture below. have also lots of moon flower seeds from last year vines, have to start them. looking to order a few more items--will post later after I make my final selections.
MailBox.jpg

Ask a Question