American Beauty Plant

Reaction score
It does seem to grow in my zone, but I can't find much about them growing in California. I'm probably way to lazy to make my own wine, though XD

LOL well it would still be very pretty to look at in your yard! I have not made the jelly or the wine as of yet. What I find wonderful is that you can also make a bug lotion from it as well. The plant repels insects!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
After starting another thread I found yours. It is commonly known as the American Beautyberry, and the fruit is edible but astringent, and is known to make a nice jelly. Mine is currently in bloom (so I posted pictures of the bloom on my thread), and I found some old photos of mine with berries (my plants have deep indigo colored berries. The leaves contain a powerful insect repellent and rubbing crushed leaves on exposed skin will repel mosquitoes, very useful here in Florida.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It is Beautyberry- Callicarpa Americana, also called Beautybush.

I make a insect repellant from the leaves that is much better than commercial insect repellants and yes you can make jelly from the berries.

Take the leaves (and you can also use the berries if you want), place them in a pint jar and cover with rubbing alcohol. Leave for 3-5 days and then strain off the leaves. I put the liquid in a small spray bottle that I get at the dollar store and "spritz" it on me when I need to repel biting insects.

Here's a few links for more info on the insect repellant

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natu...ry-natural-insect-repellent-zmaz09amzraw.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060703091932.htm

http://www.preppergarden.biz/Beautyberry-for-Preppers-p/wld-beautyberry.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I took my dachshund out for one of her many walks today and noticed that mosquitoes were buzzing all around her (we live in Florida). Since we were next to one of my American beautyberry plants I crushed a leaf and rubbed it on her back. I noticed that her fleas were bad (she is a short hair, so they can't hide) and knew I would need to spray her as soon as we got back inside, which was just a minute since she was ready to go inside. I sprayed her and noticed that there were no fleas: they had all left post-haste after I rubbed the beautyberry leaf on her.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
That's the beauty of this forum. We get to see what does not grow in our country and this bush is one of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks for the info on the American beauty bush. I checked it out and it Is native to Australia, too so I may be able to source it. Often I have seen plants on this forum which I like but aren't available here in Australia. I'd love one of these not only for its beauty but for its use as a repellant.

Ask a Question