Aloe Trouble

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I have an Aloe plant that we use for a variety of different uses that range from the standard sunburn cream to the new smoothie trends. However, my Aloe is in a pot and it looks like the color is beginning to change. I want to make sure I am trimming it the correct way. We cut the largest pieces from the outside of the plant first. Is this the correct way to trim and Aloe plant? Any other tips to help us keep our plant healthy and happy? We are leaving for a couple months and I have a person watching it for me and I want to be sure to tell them how to properly care for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You really don't have to do much with an aloe plant. The person maintaining your plants while you're gone shouldn't need to trim anything from it so that's kind of a non issue. As long as the plant gets adequate water and sun it can be ignored and and still thrive. As for the color change, try moving it to another location with less sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Is it turning reddish brow like the one in the pic? Then it's probably receiving much sunlight. Just put in somewhat shady area and the colour goes away. Happy Gardening. :)

Reaction score
I had a hard time with my aloe plant too. I found that I was giving it too much sunlight and too much water. I know! Who would've known! I moved it to a more shaded area and gave it a small amount of water once a week and it seems to be thriving and doing much better.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is great information, I would have put the plant in the full sun with limited water because it is a member of the succulent family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Great tips everyone thanks! I do have pretty heavy sunlight here. So I'm going to try to put it in an area that still has sun but gets less. Also, I think I will cut off my last trimming for a smoothie before I leave and then just let it alone for a couple months. I'm a little worried the pot it is in is too small, but I will do more research on that when I get home. The one I have currently is not as big as the one in my Avatar photo, but it has the potential to be. I have seen some that are very large though and so I'm wondering if it is just a matter of keeping it trimmed to the right size. I am also wondering if once a year I need to up root the soil a little bit.

Reaction score
H.C. Heartland - As Aloe plants normally prefer a west facing site when grown in areas that get long hours of hot sunshine and as you have just moved yours to a shadier spot - it might be an idea to keep an eye on it - as it will soon let you know if it isn't getting enough light - as the normally upright leaves will start to lie flat if its in too much shade.

There is no need to worry about your Aloe being in a pot that you feel is too small - as Aloes can take quite some time before they become root-bound - many years in fact and when they do - they can withstand being root-bound for some considerable time without causing any problems to the plant.

Also there is no need to up-root the plant yearly either - as Aloes have a habit of letting you know when they need re-potting - by becoming very top heavy and sending up more pups than usual.

If it is a large tall healthy Aloe that you want - the best way of getting one - is to keep the plant compact and allow it grow undisturbed until it tells you it needs re-potting - you keep them compact by removing all the pups whenever you see them and especially at this time of year - when there is normally an abundance of them and-although its often tempting to leave them on - they are best removed - as failing to do so weakens the mother plant - however the good side to this is that you can always use them to make more Aloe plants :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
H.C. Heartland - As Aloe plants normally prefer a west facing site when grown in areas that get long hours of hot sunshine and as you have just moved yours to a shadier spot - it might be an idea to keep an eye on it - as it will soon let you know if it isn't getting enough light - as the normally upright leaves will start to lie flat if its in too much shade.

There is no need to worry about your Aloe being in a pot that you feel is too small - as Aloes can take quite some time before they become root-bound - many years in fact and when they do - they can withstand being root-bound for some considerable time without causing any problems to the plant.

Also there is no need to up-root the plant yearly either - as Aloes have a habit of letting you know when they need re-potting - by becoming very top heavy and sending up more pups than usual.

If it is a large tall healthy Aloe that you want - the best way of getting one - is to keep the plant compact and allow it grow undisturbed until it tells you it needs re-potting - you keep them compact by removing all the pups whenever you see them and especially at this time of year - when there is normally an abundance of them and-although its often tempting to leave them on - they are best removed - as failing to do so weakens the mother plant - however the good side to this is that you can always use them to make more Aloe plants :)

Thanks for the great tips! By pups I'm assuming you mean the tiny ones that sprout up in the middle? and the way to trim them would be to cut with a knife at the base? I have not done this yet, but I was thinking I should. I might wait a little bit longer though now that I know it is good for it to be compacted. We have been drinking a lot of aloe juice lately and I'm thinking the cutting I have been doing is going to be enough. However, when I cut, it still leaves the 'stub' of the leaf at the base which to me, will still make it tight in the pot. This is how I see everyone else cutting their Aloe plants though and so I'm assuming that is the best way not to upset the root system.

Reaction score
You're welcome H.C. Heartland and yes the term " pups " does mean the new shoots - which form at the base of the plant on the outside of the plant rather than the center and although sometimes its possible when they are very young just to rub the pups off with your fingers - they are best removed with a sharp knife - which is best done as soon as you spot them otherwise as I think I've already mentioned - they will zap the energy from the mother plant - as well as very quickly make the plant look untidy and unruly.
As for cutting the outer leaves - so long as you cut them as near as to the base as possible - you are doing it correctly - which from your description - appears to be what you are already doing and just to put your mind at rest - the only time that you ever need to worry about upsetting the root system of an Aloe is if you allow to get too wet :)

Ask a Question