Almost Dead Orchid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have an orchid in my kitchen window. The window the plant is in faces the north, so the plant does not receive direct sun light at any point throughout the day. Unfortunately, my orchid was a little neglected, and until recently, was not being watered regularly. To water it, I usually put an ice cube in the pot, so that it will slowly melt and provide a little bit of water at a time, maybe once per week. Because it has been neglected, the stem and main leaves are dead and brown, however, near the top there are two new green leaves and a tiny new green stem. Should I continue to water the plant as I have been? Is there anything else I can do to nurture this plant back to health?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
An ice cube every week isn't very much water, so if I were you I'd increase how much you water it. Get a water spray bottle and mist the roots and leaves too :)

If there is new growth then it certainly isn't a lost cause (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also feed my orchid ice cubes, not just one but at least 3 ice cubes since the pot is small, every three to four days. If yours is looking dried, I think feeding it more is better!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use pots with lots of holes in the sides and the roots come out to visit. I keep each plant in a 1 inch deep saucer with pebbles and I keep that saucer full of water. I don't mist. They are loosely in the pots so the won't fall out when they send out a stem to bloom. Not much bark or perlite. No ice. Just humidity rising from the saucer. That is why the roots come out to visit.

One I have in an african violet pot with no soil/bark/perlite, just the roots of the plant. Fill the base of the pot with water and that one came from dead at Lowes to beautiful bloom. It loves its living arrangements.

Ask a Question