The Permaculture Garden: The almost entirely edible garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labor; and of looking at plants and animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single product system." - Bill Mollison

When my boyfriend and I moved into first (rental) house in July we had no idea what was in store for us. Our mutual best friend had been cultivating a permaculture garden for nearly four years prior to our acquisition of the property. Coming from my perspective, gardening was something my parents paid landscapers to do. I never ate fruit, or leafy greens, much less grew any. This garden has been such an awakening for me, as far as not only the discipline of gardening, but how I eat, sleep, and inspired me to live a much healthier life as a whole.

Taking on this garden was essentially taking on our best friend's 'baby,' and we consider it an honor to uphold the tradition. The garden has attracted a lot of attention in our local area, as we are located on the corner of a relatively busy three way stop in downtown Atlanta. People stop us from the road when we are outside all the time. They're not asking what are you growing, the common question is "what are you doing here?" and "how can I do this?"

The idea is simple. Let the garden take care of itself. Do not plant plants for aesthetic reasons, we plant based on how the plants will interact with each other. The idea is the garden largely takes care of itself with minimal maintenance, and we make fewer trips to the grocery store. Instead of growing one crop in our vicinity, we grow dozens. And the yield amazes.

Our quarter acre lot holds four garden plots of various sizes. Most of the growable area is concentrated on the space from where we park our cars to our front door. (maybe 50ft) The first and largest plot holds a central self sustaining pond. The plants that I can identify are our two 3 year old loquat fruit trees (roughly seven feet tall now), TONS of mint, at least two varieties of kale, purple bean, azeala, cabbage, cherry tomatoes, basil, kanip, oregano, rosemary, green onion, citronella, and probably more that I am forgetting. Our tomato crop last yielded god knows how much tomatoes. Most of my friends got home made tomato sauce for christmas.

Our middle plot is roughly 6x4 feet. It currently has what I believe is a chestnut tree, purple asparagus, and sweet potatoe. Last fall we yeilded about 70lbs of sweet potatoe from our plot that lasted us about six months.

Our third plot is closest to the road but elevated a good seven or eight feet. This plot is about the same size as our second plot, and has a three year old elderberry bush, black tomato, marigold, raspberries, a hibiscus bush, and what I think is a hazelnut tree.

Our patio has kind of become the 'nursey' for the seedlings. We have strawberries, spinach, two varieties of kale, aloe, and a south african lavender hybrid growing in pots.

We formerly had a compost section running along the side of our house slanting towards the street. Kale and other vegetables like squash and potatoes started growing so well there we essentially annexed it to the garden. That section now includes grape vines black berry vines.

Let us know what you think! As I said we are new to this and learning through trial and error. suggestions on how to maintain what we have and what to plant next are greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 1plot1.jpg
    1plot1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 456
  • 1plot2.jpg
    1plot2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 460
  • 1plot3.jpg
    1plot3.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 1plot4.jpg
    1plot4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 1plot5.jpg
    1plot5.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 465
  • 1plot6.jpg
    1plot6.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 1plot7.jpg
    1plot7.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 442
  • 1plot8.jpg
    1plot8.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 1plot9.jpg
    1plot9.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 2plot1.jpg
    2plot1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 469
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
A few more pictures

Attachments

• 3plot1.jpg
    3plot1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 497
  • 3plot2.jpg
    3plot2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 415
  • backplot1.jpg
    backplot1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 461
  • backplot2.jpg
    backplot2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 481
  • patio1.jpg
    patio1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 446
  • patio2.jpg
    patio2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 469
  • patio3.jpg
    patio3.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 454
  • patio4.jpg
    patio4.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 467
  • patio5.jpg
    patio5.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
This is amazing! I have no input or suggestions, you're doing a great job. I wish I had this much room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a friend who does something similar to this. She has about 10K sq.ft and she plants only edibles with no discernable order at all. She plants just about everything and it is all helter skelter, vining plants with upright plants and everything in between. She never weeds anything, just lets everything do what it does. Never sprays for bugs. It looks like a weed filled parking lot but the amount of vegetables she grows is astounding. The hardest part is finding what is ready to harvest. I have asked her why she doesn't have some kind of plan or order to what she plants and she says that she can't improve on Mother Nature so why even try. She is 93 years old.

Reaction score
That's amazing! Congrats :) It really sounds like your life has changed completely for good, growing a garden has benefited you in so many ways Glad to hear that growing a garden has motivated you to change your eating habits, kudos to you! I also aspire to do the same thing you are doing with your garden :) Best of luck with everything and thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Reaction score
This is the dream right here. It is absolutely beautiful.

Those pictures are great. You truly have something amazing going on here.

Reaction score
Wow, these pictures are absolutely beautiful. Clearly your hard work is paying off. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Faye Brown, thank you for sharing so many pictures with us, I love them all, they're truly gorgeous.
I dream of having an entirely edible garden. In my opinion most vegetables, fruits and herbs are really pretty:) I'd gladly see them everywhere around me. However, I can't imagine a garden without roses, I'll always grow them:)

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing those photos. I have been interested in permaculture for a few years now but I have not found much information about it without purchasing a book or videos etc online. I get the concept but I don't understand exactly how to figure out exactly what goes well together.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
What an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing and giving us ideas on how we can improve our space and get more from what we are doing to become more self sufficient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a friend who does something similar to this. She has about 10K sq.ft and she plants only edibles with no discernable order at all. She plants just about everything and it is all helter skelter, vining plants with upright plants and everything in between. She never weeds anything, just lets everything do what it does. Never sprays for bugs. It looks like a weed filled parking lot but the amount of vegetables she grows is astounding. The hardest part is finding what is ready to harvest. I have asked her why she doesn't have some kind of plan or order to what she plants and she says that she can't improve on Mother Nature so why even try. She is 93 years old.

If she is 93 and growing an astounding amount of food she must be doing something right huh? I love that she has everything in a "helter skelter" way, order isn't everything when it comes to gardening. A lesson for those who think their gardens are too chaotic, just breathe if it is producing for you leave well enough alone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I recently came back to this forum and found my permaculture post from last year, and figured I would update you guys the permaculture garden: year five!

It's been an educational experience, some ups and downs in the garden. Each season the garden teaches me something new and expands my very picky taste buds.

So the bad news: I recently found out the loquat trees are not very compatible for my zone. The five year old, 12 foot trees were planted from seed. In Atlanta, south eastern U.S., loquats may fruit once every ten years. This is largely due to their love of fruiting in January. Since the trees are five this year if they bloom we will be exploring aggressive winterizing options.

The 3 year old peachtree dropped all its fruit this year. We also believe the puppy had a hand In helping the peachtree. Our new line tree is sufficiently spikey enough it doesn't merit the puppy's attention.

Several varieties of strawberry have made a disappointing yield. One- two strawberries a week. We believe this is due to light problems and pest control.

Good news:
We have light problems because the elderberry trees in our two plots have taken over. Easily 9ft tall, we'll have our first prolific elderberry harvest this season. We have been making tons of elder flower tea and frying elder flowers in peanut oil, sprinkling then with powdered sugar and nutmeg.

Our new neighbor on the other half our duplex caught the garden bug! He now has his own plots and helps us with managing ours. He is having a great first season!

2-3lbs of blueberry? just waiting to harvest.

We're counting on close to 50 head of tomatoes this season. These are just the Roma and early girl we grew from seed. I have some potted seedlings pulled from the garden that may be sweet cherry 100s. Time will tell! They get to live on the patio because we're running out of sun in the garden!

New additions: lots of herbs! Chamomille, green and purple sage. Italian, Thai, and purple basil. Classic oregano. Silver, classic, and lavender thyme. Three varieties of lavender. White grapes. Purple bean and haricot vertes. Leeks. Habanero and jalapeño peppers. Broccoli. Purple Cabbage. Lemon grass. Parsley. And Lots of red Russian kale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg