Almost Christmas story.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
In former times I could not grow corn. I do not know the reason. It just did not grow with me and I stopped planting.

A few years ago on Christmas we had a great Christmas frost.
- 23 degrees Celsius or -9 Fahrenheit. It was late evening and dark outside the window. Suddenly I heard a strange noise on the balcony. I went out to look, but outside the window there was heavy snow, I did not see anything and went into the house. But the noise repeated itself. Then I wore warm clothes and took a lantern.

I saw a small white Pigeon outside the window. He froze and kept his paws behind the cornice. I opened the window. to pick up the Pigeon, but he got scared and took off. Pigeon did not have much strength, so he immediately went back, but sat far from me. I opened the second window.

Pigeon took off again and returned. I will not tell you all the "gymnastic exercises" that I had to do. But after 15 minutes the Pigeon finally flew to the balcony and I closed the window. When I took it in hand, the Pigeon no longer resisted.

It's good that my sons had an old cage from hamsters. We put the Pigeon there. Pigeon ruffled feathers to keep warm.

And early in the morning I went to the store to buy a suitable food. The most suitable food was for large parrots. Most of the ingredients came up. Pigeon got comfortable and even peck me when I cleaned the cage. It lived with us for 2 weeks. When it became warm, I gave it to the man who keeps the pigeons.

But I still had food for birds. There were corn seeds that I sowed.
That's when I got my first and excellent harvest! Since then, I generally have no problems with corn. If only the hares do not come. But that is another story.

гуля.JPG

11415-e0685c49349573454f62b6cca56ee96f.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larisa, I'd like that twice if I could! I think your "new-found" corn growing skills are a gift from that Pigeon. :) :cool:

It's funny, I never plant corn, but we always have it growing! I keep a permanent bird feeder hanging from the tree out back, and another on a shepherd's hook outside a window. I also move a couple bird feeders to hang from the clothesline in winter. I'm not using it to dry clothes, and the birds get hungry, so I try to help. Every year, we get at least one volunteer corn stalk, somewhere in the yard.

I know the neighbors think we are a bit eccentric (they have reason :rolleyes: ) but we let those corn stalks grow. It gets mowed around all summer long. It's funny to us to see one lone stalk sticking out of the grass. :LOL: That one stalk always grows at least one ear. We harvest that ear and stick it on the tree to feed the birds. And the next year, somewhere, there's another volunteer stalk!! (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How can you not LOVE Larisa?! Of course, I love the dove and the story .. too!

Such a charming story. Squirrels and rodents often try to get sweetcorns and to see you growing them successfully in Russia is just inspiring and amazing! Well done on both counts, Larisa!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
such a sweet story @Larisa . Reminds me of the bird my cat rescued and I took it to a bird rescue person. It was given antibiotics and released in a few days without any injuries noted.

Having lots of Amish farmers about me, and corn to buy for me its not worth my time to plant etc. We also don't eat corn much in our household. One year however my Halloween pumpkin sprouted in the spring from its dead shell, I moved it to an area to give it a chance, it just grew green, but was a hoot to me in the meantime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I saw a documentary about plants. The fact that plants have "feelings." Special sensors fix the reaction of plants to different stimuli. Plants respond differently to different people. For example, they recognize people who take care of them. I know the real stories in life when plants died after the death of the owner. Even if other people continued to take care of them.

I wonder if plants can have psychological incompatibility with someone. For example, I grow a lemon poorly. I care for him, I create conditions for good growth, but for some reason the fruits cease to develop and fall. Maybe it does not love me? :sneaky:

I know the neighbors think we are a bit eccentric (they have reason :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering what "eccentric neighbors" are?
Perhaps I live in a creative city. Different cultures are mixed here. There are very different people who look different. You can see the lovely old woman in an elegant hat with a veil, and next to her an old woman with dreadlocks. People in role suits ...
People can smile, but no one will be surprised.

1438321019_ya1.jpg
20150910115725.jpg

Also acts. Sometimes men can rent billboards to confess love to a woman. Or congratulations on your birthday. Or apologize for something ...

inx960x640.jpg

Someone can sing or dance on the street. Rarely - to swear.
But this is an ordinary life. I wonder what my neighbors could do to make me wonder? (n)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm just wondering what "eccentric neighbors" are?

Keep in mind that I live on the outskirts of a semi-rural village with a population of less than 4700 people. Everyone knows everyone, and we are still "the new people." :cautious:

Taken individually, these things are probably not that odd, but once you put them in a pile...

The cat pack, and the cat "penthouse" we have for them on the porch is one thing. :rolleyes: My beloved Little Man originally belonged to the people two houses up the street, until he decided he liked us better. (Probably because we fed him and loved on him... :whistle:.) ...She went around and told all the neighbors that we "stole" her cat!! I contend that we did let him outside, and if he had wanted to live at her house, he would have. A cat lives where a cat wants, you know...

We have another neighbor that will come to visit (and cadge a beer...) at 10 o'clock at night. He'll tell us, "I knew you were awake because I could see your house glowing from the bonfire." He's coming from a street away!! o_O

My boyfriend will notice "new and different" plants coming up in the grass, and he'll just mow around them. :LOL: (y) We always have one stalk of corn, but one year there were three of them - all allowed to grow to full potential. Any number of weeds have grown a foot or more, because he thought they might flower...:love: (There is a small patch of goldenrod that grows between the shed and the garage, and we leave it be.)

Drunken nights singing out at the gazebo into the wee hours of the morning. :oops: And on one memorable occasion, we may or may not have been spotted as he was giving me a piggy-back ride around the yard, with me holding a flashlight to guide the way, giggling maniacally, and yelling, "Yahoo!!" :LOL: I'll admit, it was fun, but now I am much more careful about voicing the words, "Oh, I dare you!!"

We have a rather large fishing lure that neither of us uses for fishing. He cut the hooks off of it, and we sail long casts out into the yard, then have a good time watching the cats chase it through the grass. Now, that's cat-fishing!!

One night, at midnight, we went out to the flower bed ( :oops: it should be noted that we were both wearing headlamps... :ROFLMAO: ) and I told him what everything was, and I pointed out all the weeds to him. (Once daytime temps are over 90 degrees, I quit weeding.) He said, "Those are weeds?! Wait here!!" :confused: That man went out to the garage, came back, and then we were weeding the flower bed, because he has all kinds of tools and accessories, and he is glad to use them!! :love:
Midnight weeding accessories...
th

That thing puts out A LOT of light!! :cool:

:D :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
But it's really fun! I wish you were my neighbor! I could shoot short movies and secretly post it on YouTube. :D
If you had an apiary! :rolleyes: :D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But it's really fun!

We have a lot of fun! I may get older, but I refuse to grow up! :LOL:

I wish you were my neighbor! I could shoot short movies and secretly post it on YouTube. :D

Oh!! The things you'd see!! :ROFLMAO:

He has a Scag walk-behind lawn mower, and that thing is huge! It has a 48 inch cutting deck. (Umm... maybe 46"...? :unsure: )

I insisted that I ought to be able to use it to mow the lawn. I don't mind taking my turn at that, and... :mad: ... Quit treating me like I am little!!! . I'm 50" tall, and the mower is a bit formidable, but I was quite sure that I could use that mower!! After a couple years of listening to my complaining, he said, ":sneaky: :devil: Ok, I'll let you try it."

:eek: :eek: :eek: I was running through the yard, you don't push that thing... you have to fight to hold it back!! I'm running and screaming, "Shut it off!! Shut it off!!" He's rolling around on the grass, tears streaming down his face... I was so panicked, I totally forgot -
smack.gif
- if you want to kill it... just let go.

:ROFLMAO:

If you had an apiary! :rolleyes: :D

A beehive? :confused:

Ask a Question