All about composting from treehugger

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Someone had this graphic pinned to a Pinterest board and I thought I would share it here, but only part of it will post, so to see the entire thing you'll have to visit the link, it's really comprehensive. It covers everything from leaf mold to humanure and hot vs cold composting.

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-gard...graphic-helps-you-decide.html?campaign=th_rss

How-to-Compost-infographic.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.png

Reaction score
That is a great graphc! They are right about cutting down on garbage! Our garbage is picked up every two weeks and now our can is never even full!

I have to wonder about the urine? So does that mean I can let my busband and son pee on my compost pile? :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so cute, like a cartoon! :p I enjoyed reading it, it's very interesting, especially since my knowledge about composting is rather limited. Thank you for sharing it!

Reaction score
Brilliant graphic. Should be a sticky, IMO.

Only thing missing from it is the fact that for hot composting there is a critical size that the pile should reach. That should be mentioned.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this link ChanellG, it's super helpful. I have a pit compost in my yard and when it gets full, I dig another one and I usually have more than enough to use in my garden. I love the idea of composting because the landfills don't need the extra bulk added to them when every responsible citizen can simply do this, whether you use the compost or not doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Danni, have you ever seen that extreme couponing reality show? I don't know the name, but I saw the woman from the show on Steve Harvey and she doesn't urinate in the toilet (lol). She uses what used to be called a slop jar and she pours it on the compost pile in her yard!

I can't believe the full graphic showed up after all! When I was composing the post, it would only display the top part. I'm glad you all can see the whole thing without having to go to another page.

@Claudine, so glad you found it useful. I think that for an intro to composting it covers quite a lot.

@Jubbly, Maybe you can visit Treehugger and let them know they left out that information.

@Lanie, I would love to be able to dig a trench and bury stuff in the yard, but it just isn't practical for me at this time. I've decided to start with a basic bin for now and then work my way up to using worms in a few months.

Reaction score
Chanell, this is one brilliant post. I am totally committed to vermicompost. They guys are voracious eaters and are excellent workers.. I hope more people take to composting and reduce the garbage that we produce.
Actually I had to take out my kitchen wastes everyday.. now, I don't have to do that I have four pots- earthen pots with food scraps and worms .. I am waiting for this material to break down fully and become available to my plants soon.

Reaction score
@Danni, have you ever seen that extreme couponing reality show? I don't know the name, but I saw the woman from the show on Steve Harvey and she doesn't urinate in the toilet (lol). She uses what used to be called a slop jar and she pours it on the compost pile in her yard!
I have seen a few but not that one. The slop jar makes sense. I will keep it in mind for what the apocolyspe happens! :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Danni LMBO!!!!!

@Maddie, I hope so too, and not just food waste. I hate to throw glass or plastic into the trash. We have curbside recycling again in the city, but when they delivered the bins to my neighborhood we weren't here because the house was being renovated (my 3rd time moving out post Katrina!)

Now that I have a bit more time, I have to find out how to get a bin. For the past year I have been saving stuff in a bag and bringing it to other people's homes and putting it in their bins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There's been a lot of talk about composting lately so I thought I would bump this thread so recent members could not only see this great infographic, but what other members have had to say previously on the subject. @Shellyann36, have you seen this before?

Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about composting lately so I thought I would bump this thread so recent members could not only see this great infographic, but what other members have had to say previously on the subject. @Shellyann36, have you seen this before?

Thank you for bumping the post and tagging me in it. It is very interesting. I have heard that if you pee on your plants in the garden it gives them nice growth spurts. Most of the time it just makes the leaves nicer and does not have an effect on the produce part. I will have to tell the guys they can start peeing on our pile. I am a bit skeptical about the humanure procedure though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for bumping the post and tagging me in it. It is very interesting. I have heard that if you pee on your plants in the garden it gives them nice growth spurts. Most of the time it just makes the leaves nicer and does not have an effect on the produce part. I will have to tell the guys they can start peeing on our pile. I am a bit skeptical about the humanure procedure though.

I saw a woman on TV who uses a slop jar instead of a toilet and then pours the urine on her compost pile. I just can't go there, lol. @zigs can attest to what it does and how to utlize it, but I won't be trying it out anytime soon, lol. I had a really good laugh a few years back when I told my mom she could compost human and pet feces by "cooking" it in the BBQ. (LOL, just thinking about it...)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, contains Nitrogen, potassium & Phosphorous, very good compost activator and plant food, don't get it on the leaves of living plants though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Just in case you get really drunk one night, it burns the leaves, makes them go brown;)

Ask a Question