All about composting from treehugger

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Shellyann36 did you see what @zigs said? Better keep the boys away from the pile after all in case they start "watering" the plants.

I just remembered this episode of Supernanny where the family had one child who for some reason would not use the toilet. He had no qualms about watering the grass however, and it got so bad that they ended up with brown patches in the lawn.

Reaction score
This might come in handy! I've been thinking about trying composting, but I had no clue where to start or what the benefits of it are. This graphic is really cute and helpful though :) thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This might come in handy! I've been thinking about trying composting, but I had no clue where to start or what the benefits of it are. This graphic is really cute and helpful though :) thanks!

Glad you found it useful! It's so simple to get going that once you finally do it you wish you'd started sooner. I use storage tubs and I fill one and then start another so that when it's time to plant again I'll have compost ready. I could probably have three going in succession depending on how much I'm cooking from week to week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have gotten very good at recycling, composting, and keeping things out of the trash in my home. Just about everything is recycled or reused and I am getting used to the idea of composting. We virtually have no garbage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We have gotten very good at recycling, composting, and keeping things out of the trash in my home. Just about everything is recycled or reused and I am getting used to the idea of composting. We virtually have no garbage.

That is awesome! Our curbside recycling program doesn't include glass, which is kind of a drag. I had hoped to find a way to do it myself, but the person with the kiln didn't follow through. I've told a lot of people about my idea though, so maybe if I never get it going someone else will.

Reaction score
Glad you found it useful! It's so simple to get going that once you finally do it you wish you'd started sooner. I use storage tubs and I fill one and then start another so that when it's time to plant again I'll have compost ready. I could probably have three going in succession depending on how much I'm cooking from week to week.

My neighbor gave me a small compost bin he didn't need and I've been reading up on how composting works. Thanks for that site chanell. Really makes it simple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My neighbor gave me a small compost bin he didn't need and I've been reading up on how composting works. Thanks for that site chanell. Really makes it simple.

You're welcome! I have two small storage bins that I have been composting in for a little over a year now. The only problem with those though, is that they aren't designed for being out in the sun. The plastic is starting to crack on the lids so I am going to have to replace them with something else.

Reaction score
You're welcome! I have two small storage bins that I have been composting in for a little over a year now. The only problem with those though, is that they aren't designed for being out in the sun. The plastic is starting to crack on the lids so I am going to have to replace them with something else.

I noticed on the website of the one I have says to put in a sunny location, and I was kinda concerned cause the only place I could put it gets at best partial sun. We shall see haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I noticed on the website of the one I have says to put in a sunny location, and I was kinda concerned cause the only place I could put it gets at best partial sun. We shall see haha.

A sunny location is definitely a factor. The bins in garden #2 are in a mostly shady location and they always seem too wet to me. Heat is an important factor in the composting process. Someone told me blue plastic leaches less, but down the road I may switch to a metal can that is partly sunken below the soil. So many options...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here's another great composting graphic:

89c2c4d75fe78caf4a00f15fed28ce52.jpg

Just posted this in the worm tube thread, but thought it should go here as well since most people would just be searching with the keyword "compost."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oooh, I love this. Thanks for sharing. I've been composting for about 3 years now, and since it has become a habit it totally kills me to see people putting green food scraps in the garbage. I just imagine all that black gold that they aren't creating with it. Haha.

I've never put much thought into my composting. I just dump it in a corner of the garden and wait. So far, its been thriving and even sprouting volunteer plants every year. A fun adventure for me, for sure, and always a way to ease my conscience as a red blooded and wasteful American.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oooh, I love this....

I've never put much thought into my composting. I just dump it in a corner of the garden and wait. So far, its been thriving and even sprouting volunteer plants every year. A fun adventure for me, for sure, and always a way to ease my conscience as a red blooded and wasteful American.

Glad you like it! I started out doing it that way as well. In the beginning I wasn't too successful; I now have two Rubbermaid storage bins with holes drilled in the bottom, a separate "bin" just for leaves, and I am thinking about setting up a worm tube. I love the volunteer plant discoveries, but they don't always make it. Last year's sprouted peanut was a delight! Saved the harvest for replanting.

Ask a Question