Aged pine bark fines vs hardwood bark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just remembered a thread. Its by John Todd in the Organic Gardening forum titled BioChar for small farms and gardens. Have you seen it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just remembered a thread. Its by John Todd in the Organic Gardening forum titled BioChar for small farms and gardens. Have you seen it?
No but I probably have read any articles it refers to at this point. I located a suppler selling big sacks of rice grain sized ground biochar for 600-700. I did not order because I produce a lot of wood here just from falls alone. I toyed with making my own but in a neighborhood that is a little tougher even with estate sized lots. I think I may use a afterburner for a clean burn and spread the ash, which is both alkaline and potassium rich, 2 things my soil badly needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No but I probably have read any articles it refers to at this point. I located a suppler selling big sacks of rice grain sized ground biochar for 600-700. I did not order because I produce a lot of wood here just from falls alone. I toyed with making my own but in a neighborhood that is a little tougher even with estate sized lots. I think I may use a afterburner for a clean burn and spread the ash, which is both alkaline and potassium rich, 2 things my soil badly needs.
Check out his posts. I think you'll find it interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did read that thread! I actually ran across the videos when I was trying to understand a retort system. I have 2 issues though, the first being physically chopping the wood to a useable size, and the second is chopping the char to a even smaller useable size. Its not easy either way without specialty equipment. Even my chipper will not make small enough biochar particles, and I got into casting a grindstone before I just stopped considering it as a home based process. While a wood splitter would be slow, its only a barrel at a time, which is feasible if I buy a splitter. I considered a wood blade on my bandsaw as well. Less palatable and some wood is to large a diameter to feed and must be split.

Or I could just burn wood cleanly and snuff the fire toward the end of the burn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you guys nuts? Outside of the fact that I don't know anything about what passes for bluegrass down yonder, what you guys are talking about sounds like a hateful expense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is my soil. The pH is 5pH on the 2 major components and slightly higher on the lesser component. The trick is the lesser component must float up nearer the surface because I read soil meters in that range as well. You can find your soil as well HERE. There are these micro surveys, like my front yard is a different soil than the hill my house is on, and its full of charts and stuff, like the one that shows the depths the soil is found and a variety of its parameters.

Basically I already know its clay but it is nice to get outside acknowledgement that the pH readings I have been taking were more accurate than I expected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
wow. sticking my pH meter into the bags of "evergreen compost and manure", I actually observed a 2pH on the meter. I also saw a 6.5. I bought cubic yard for the new kiowa blackberries and the blueberries. I saw a lot of sub 5pH numbers.

Ask a Question