Apple Butter from foraged apples

Reaction score

Apple butter is processed in different ways, but I used the traditional slow cook method. This method is supposed to take one full day of processing, but I ended up cooking the apples for two days. Also the recipe I used called for 4 cups of sugar, and I reduced that to 3 cups; but I think only 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar for 5 lbs of apples would suffice. In fact, my apple butter was too sweet with 3 cups.

First I peeled, and chopped the apples to add to the slow cooker. I cooked 5 lbs of apples (approx 10 apples) in a slower cooker with cinnamon, allspice, and sugar. Every couple of hours, I would stir the mixture. Once the mixture became close to the consistency desired, I thoroughly mixed it in the blender for 15 seconds, and added to sterilized jars. This batch made 4 cups of apple butter, which filled two 1 pint jars.
Serve with homemade bread or as a dip for pears, apples, or other fruit. Also, you could add a little to smoothies.

Original post @ Apple Butter from foraged apples

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten apple butter. It sounds delicious and very healthy! I bet it tastes great with homemade bread. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.
I'll try to make apple butter too. Thank you for posting this recipe:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Is apple butter a jam? I don't think it's a real butter. And since it is spread in bread then I assume it is a jam of sorts. I didn't know that the apple has many derivatives. When I was young, all I know about apples aside from eating it is the apple juice which was very expensive at the time. And then I learned of the apple cider in recipe books but I still have to see one or taste it. Now this apple butter looks good to me so maybe I can make one just for a trial.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apple butter is like a jam made from apples. It is good on taste looks like apple sauce but has a different taste. It is something you have to experience to understand the difference between apple jelly and apple butter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Cassie K You're killing me with these jars of tasty and yummy apple butter, but where is the butter when you called it butter apple? :) Your recipe sounds so simple and easy to do. I also have a slow cooker now and some apples in the refrigerator. I would love to make this soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

Apple butter is processed in different ways, but I used the traditional slow cook method. This method is supposed to take one full day of processing, but I ended up cooking the apples for two days. Also the recipe I used called for 4 cups of sugar, and I reduced that to 3 cups; but I think only 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar for 5 lbs of apples would suffice. In fact, my apple butter was too sweet with 3 cups.

First I peeled, and chopped the apples to add to the slow cooker. I cooked 5 lbs of apples (approx 10 apples) in a slower cooker with cinnamon, allspice, and sugar. Every couple of hours, I would stir the mixture. Once the mixture became close to the consistency desired, I thoroughly mixed it in the blender for 15 seconds, and added to sterilized jars. This batch made 4 cups of apple butter, which filled two 1 pint jars.
Serve with homemade bread or as a dip for pears, apples, or other fruit. Also, you could add a little to smoothies.

Original post @ Apple Butter from foraged apples

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com
Sounds delicious Cassie.:) I must go foraging for apples :p.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Apple butter is also really good with pork - either in the slow cooker as a roast, or with pork chops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've never eaten apple butter. It sounds delicious and very healthy! I bet it tastes great with homemade bread. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.
I'll try to make apple butter too. Thank you for posting this recipe:)
Yes, it's delicious on homemade bread and hot roll or two or three or you get the picture. The only way I like lightly toasted H M bread is with Apple Butter.

Attachments

• Hot Rolls 11-23-05.jpg
    Hot Rolls 11-23-05.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
Apple Butter sounds delicious. I have had Pumpkin Butter before. I actually have some in my fridge at the moment from Trader Joe's. It seems very similar, except of course the main difference is the apples. They feature the same ingredients, though. :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Calling it butter is a misnomer. It is not really a butter, apple butter is good with pork and on hot bread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, it's delicious on homemade bread and hot roll or two or three or you get the picture. The only way I like lightly toasted H M bread is with Apple Butter.
Wow, those hot rolls look absolutely delicious too:) They sound like the perfect treat for a cold winter evening:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually love apple butter mixed in with my morning Greek yogurt and granola! Gives it some extra flavor and pizazz! I need to make my own - sounds quite simple in the slow cooker, and I'm such a fan of easy recipes!!

Ask a Question