Managed to Murder an Air Fern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
This is the second time this has happened to me. I get so sold on the idea that the plant needs little water and will live for just about anyone, it is so easy the lady said that people hang them on their refrigerators and forget about them for months. Well mine didn't last two months. Dead as a doornail.

Has anyone ever has any luck with these ferns? and if so what did you do? I made a small terrarium and would soak the plants about once a week for maybe 10-15 minutes. I did not keep them in direct light and it was warm. They seem to have dried out but my thought was they don't like to much water? I figured they were like my cactus plants, but evidently they are not.
il_340x270.687072832_lqqr.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its not a fern but a Bormeliad it doesn't need lots of water, but soak it ones a week like you have been or even mist it every few day if it get warm where you have them hanging, your picture looks like a Caput Medusae, I have 2 air plants one love the sun and the other starts to die if it gets to much bright light so I keep in in the low light of my plant room, I mist them about ever 3 days and maybe water them once a month Here a link that might help

http://plants.web-indexes.com/airplants/airplants-care.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I think by this point it might be to late for these two guys. They seem all dried out, even thought it was not direct light it was pretty bright in the morning. I would like to get another set, maybe this time I will put them in a different location where there is light but it is no where near as bright. I am going to try to immerse the plant for the twelve hours like the article says, the one might not be dried all the way thru, it did not feel as crumbly as the other did, the feel was similar to the way the Bluebell bulbs feel. yes they were the Medusa's.

Ask a Question