Seedling First Leaves Damaged

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I started planting my very first plants a few days ago and I am so excited that today I see my first watermelon seedlings showing out of the ground. However, I noticed that a few of my plants have been eaten by something. I would like to know whether these damages are terminal to the plants and what could have eaten the leaves. I live in Miami, Florida if it helps identify the pest.
VWPzC1R.jpg
mtjATqP.jpg
EJZ0Jlb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I'm in Miami Florida as well! I had a big issue where iguanas ate the whole seedlings off but left the stems. It doesn't look like there was enough damage to kill the plant. I don't think a small bug did all that damage, nor do I think the big iguanas did ate that small amount. Most lizards are insectivores. Maybe it was a bird? I don't know what exact animal did that. What you can do it build a fence around your garden. That's what I did. The iguana's still snuck out from the back, but ate much less than before. I then hung CD's off tree's. The sunlights reflection bounces off the CD's, and tricks the animal by making it look like there's a predator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
To answer your question: no, this will not harm your plant at all. The true leaves will come out normally. First leaves don't matter too much. They can't make photosynthesis. This damage will not have any effect in your plants.

Ask a Question