Advice on Transplanting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not an experienced gardener at all and came here seeking advice from those who know more than I do.

My mother has a garden area that is very thick and full of tulips and irises. She has had some issues with mice inhabiting this particular area. Being deathly afraid of them, she is determined to take out the thick vegetation of this particular space and put gravel there instead (she thinks this will make the area less appealing to rodents). She has asked me to help her empty the flower bed within the coming week. Her mind is made up, so whether this is advisable is not the question.

My question is whether any of these tulips or irises could potentially be saved. My own yard is sadly without many flowers and I would love to add some more color to it. However, I understand that the timing of a transplant attempt may not be conducive to success. It is my understanding that spring (when the plants are actively blooming) is the worst time to make such an effort.

I live about twenty minutes away from my mother, so it would be quite a trip to transplant. I would obviously be utilizing pots of dirt and such for the flowers to make the trip to my house. However is even that futile? If the plants wither this year during the transfer, would the bulbs/tubes still produce flowers during future years? What steps would increase my chances at having any success in this attempt?

Reaction score
Lift with as much soil as possible, get the ground ready where they are going beforehand, get them in,water well ,let the leaves die back naturally, and they should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Tulips and Iris. And you live 20 mins away. Would be better if you wait until the flowering is done. When you dig them up ---LEAVE THE GREEN ON THEM. Do not worry about taking soil with them, or potting them, Lay them gently on some newspaper for the trip, and just fold the paper to keep them safe for the trip. No plastic. Take home and plant them WITH THE GREEN ON THEM as quickly as possible. Maybe have the receiving planting area ready ahead of time . We always transplant, or thin out our bulbs with the green on in the late spring or early summer. By the way, the green after you plant them may flop down, don' worry, its ok, just leave the green alone. We don't worry about watering well after, just let what rains happen naturally.

RoseScience

"Windsong" Dr.. Griffith Buck,
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9 with heavy humidity
Country
United States
Yes, save as many FREE flowers as possible. God bless mom! They have an excellent choice of survival vs. death.
All are naturalized, touch and they are FREE.
You might find a hybridized plant or two for the world.
I'm a rose rustler in Texas--not only do I find roses, people give me rose bushes, vines, and cuttings.

Ask a Question