Acidifying Soil for Blueberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm preparing to plant about 50 blueberry bushes in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I was not able to incorporate sulfur into the soil last fall to reduce the pH down from 7. I was considering incorporating sulfur into the soil, but also adding some aluminum sulfate to the planting hole for a more immediate effect just in the immediate area. Any suggestions on how much I should add to a hole as big around as a 5 gallon bucket but 3/4 as deep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No way to anwer unless you provide the existing pH and the soil type as it relates to density, as clay needs about 1.8 times what a loam needs. But then we have calculators. In any event do not try to suddenly change things, as a acid boundary is never a good thing for a root to meet as it will blunt them. Be gentle, the blueberries are tough enough to survive as you bend the soil profile like an artist, with sensitivity and grace.

Ask a Question