Alkaline soil and my sick trees

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello, in the years I have tried planting trees in my garden. The result is always the same-they start okay and after an year the leaves start turning yellow and then brown and the tree dies. Last year I bought soil tests(capsules that get mixed with soil from the garden) and they showed that the soil was alkaline, like pretty alkaline. I tested the soil with vinegar too(mixing them both) and the result was-alkaline soil. So even when I try to treat my trees against iron defficiency in the case of the yellowing leaves, the fertilizer I am putting in the soil never gets utilized by the plant, because of this alkaline soil.
My question is: Can I plant any fruit trees(besides apples and figs) that prefer alkaline soil? Also how can I correct the soil or should I completely dig it out and replace it with new one?
Thank you all for the suggestions!
All the best to all of you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is your soils Ph? If not too high you can amend the soil with lots of manure and compost to lower the Ph. One can also add liquid humate for a more localized result. How do you know that it is iron that the trees cannot uptake. It might also be calcium in which epsom salts can be a huge benefit. Or it could be one of many things that make the leaves yellow. You could also start a regimin of Iron Chealate. I have very alkaline soils but by using what I have mentioned here I have a very successful garden. But the most important thing, I believe, is I NEVER use synthetic fertilizers. I have pear tree, plums and peaches and all do well.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
I was trying to plant cherries, the thing that hints me towards iron deficiency is that the leaves are yellow with green veins. I have started composting the last year and now I think I have one small pile of compost and I will try using it. I have tried looking for something to acidify my soil in my country but I think I cannot find it. I am located in Eastern Europe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was trying to plant cherries, the thing that hints me towards iron deficiency is that the leaves are yellow with green veins. I have started composting the last year and now I think I have one small pile of compost and I will try using it. I have tried looking for something to acidify my soil in my country but I think I cannot find it. I am located in Eastern Europe.
Well, that sounds like an iron or zinc deficiency. Has your soil been fertilized with a high content nitrogen synthetic fertilizer for a lengthy period of time? This causes an excessive buildup of phosphorus and this causes a plant to drastically reduce its iron uptake. Do all of your plants and trees have this problem? If so, then that is the problem, too much synthetic fertilizer for too long a time.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
All trees have this problem, but a plum and figs. Interesting observation of mine is that the affected trees' leaves do not grow to become very big before they get "stunned" and start yellowing. The place has been a construction waste site for years, then my grandparents cleaned a lot of ciment and other construction waste and putted soil, but I suppose it was not enough. When I dig holes for the trees I get to a layer which is really stiff, it feels almost like a stone or brick when I dig with the shovel. Also I think there was a lot of limestone when they were throwing out the construction waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All trees have this problem, but a plum and figs. Interesting observation of mine is that the affected trees' leaves do not grow to become very big before they get "stunned" and start yellowing. The place has been a construction waste site for years, then my grandparents cleaned a lot of ciment and other construction waste and putted soil, but I suppose it was not enough. When I dig holes for the trees I get to a layer which is really stiff, it feels almost like a stone or brick when I dig with the shovel. Also I think there was a lot of limestone when they were throwing out the construction waste.
So you don't really know what is in the soil. It could be hazardous waste or it could be just regular construction waste, neither of which is good. When you dig down to the really stiff soil is it a clay. Is it a sort white color. If you could send a picture of this stiff soil it would give us a much better idea of what you have and what to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Can you create a raised area and grow within that? Something where you have control of the soil contents.
One think that really helps alkaline soil (any soil type really) is well-aged compost / worm castings.

Ask a Question