A total change in my approach to a garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just for arguments sake, let’s say my no till garden only produces 60% of what it would have being tilled and fertilized with commercial fertilizer. Also consider that I have to rake the leaves in my yard whether I compost them or take them to the landfill. I also have to clean out my horse and chicken barns whether I compost the manure or take it to the landfill. It is far less time consuming to dump it all in a pile next to the garden and let it decompose for a year, then spread it on the garden. If this type of gardening works and I only loose 40% of my harvest I will consider it a rousing success because of the time and labor savings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'm happy :happy:now that I have a pick-up truck :happy:

Pick up trucks are great but when I resodded the front boulevards, I lined the bed of my Dodge Caravan and picked up the rolls in it. I could have taken the F150 but then you have to heave the rolls a lot higher to get them in the back.

The truck is great for tall things for sure in my case but because I'm a little vertically challenged for other items, it's the van.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just for arguments sake, let’s say my no till garden only produces 60% of what it would have being tilled and fertilized with commercial fertilizer. Also consider that I have to rake the leaves in my yard whether I compost them or take them to the landfill. I also have to clean out my horse and chicken barns whether I compost the manure or take it to the landfill. It is far less time consuming to dump it all in a pile next to the garden and let it decompose for a year, then spread it on the garden. If this type of gardening works and I only loose 40% of my harvest I will consider it a rousing success because of the time and labor savings.

When you turn over the composted manure, you could be disturbing the microbes, bacteria and worms in the pile. The purists of no-till insist on no turning as turning the soil/heap will disturb the goodness in the soil. Having said that, clay soil really needs to be turned and loosened. Indeed, I had to pick up the clay clods and smashed them against a dwarf brick wall. AND they still came down as a whole lump! LOL!

I have your way forward is good enough and is the right way forward!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Always and evermore, your garden is yours to enjoy, and yours alone. Go forth and enjoy!

Ask a Question