Has anyone moved to a totally new climate

Reaction score
And had to learn to garden all over again?

In 3 years I will be moving from WI, zone 6, to Belize. Just barely north of the rain forest. I feel like I am going to have to learn gardening all over again and quite frankly, it scares me. I think it's zone 75 down there. :confused:. Anyone living anywhere near there?

Reaction score
I have talked to people that have lived in those areas and they say that hot weather crops like tomatoes are great down there and fruit like mangoes are easy as well in a tropical setting so I am kinda jealous. I have always wanted to got to a tropical area. Just thinking of all the beautiful flowers that could be grown there makes me get excited so you should not be scared at all as the gardening season will be endless and plant choice will be pretty much endless as well. :D

Reaction score
I think what I worry about the most is things like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, peas. Some of the things I really enjoy but won't be able to grow there. I grow tomatoes for my husband as I can't eat them.

I'm thinking of having a greenhouse built, attached to the house, with solar panels where I can keep the temperature a little cooler than the outdoors to grow some of these crops, and also give me a place to escape to when it's too hot for me to venture outside.

One thing I am looking very forward to is avocadoes. I love them and they are expensive in WI, they are one of the few things I can actually eat.. I'm hoping to buy a house that has it's own avocado tree.

I can't wait to see all the tropical flowers!

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of a little further distance.......... lol

I've lived all over the US, from zone 9 to zone 5, but the rain forest is just going to be such a huge difference, and I didn't think before (in the 3 years we've been planning this) about not being able to grow my favorite vegies.

Ask a Question