Total beginner here... Blueberries?

Reaction score
Hi!

I live in NH, and when it comes to gardening, I really have no idea what I'm doing. And I don't grow flowers, just vegetables, which normally grow just fine. Well, except for corn, but that's another story.

Anyway, I REALLY want to plant blueberry bushes this weekend. I have always wanted blueberries! I have a spot in my yard that seems about right--lots of sun, and there are already rocks around it, as there used to be big flowering bushes there when we bought the house. I called them ant bushes because ants wouldn't stay out of the big white flowers. I hated them, so I let someone come and dig them up. I tried strawberries there, but I couldn't keep the berries off the ground, and bugs and critters ate them all. Big, hearty blueberry bushes seem to be a good bet.

Well, where do I start? I hand-tilled all the 3-ft high grass and weeds out of the plot last night. But there is still dense grass between the rocks along the edge. How do blueberry bushes like grass? I'm wondering if it would be better to just remove the rocks and let grass grow normally, and let my husband mow and weed-whack around the blueberry bushes.... or if it would be better to keep the rocks, lay mulch? Does mulch keep weeds out? Does it really matter??

And since I do want these to do well, is it better to get multiple bushes of the same variety (I think I have space there for 3), or of multiple varieties?

See, I really don't know what I'm doing. Help me out, preferably with step-by-step recommendations! Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Different varieties are likely to be healthier, and are also likely to extend your crop.

Clear out the ground, so that there is no competition for nutrients.

Mulch is excellent, as it doesn't just suppress weeds, but keeps your plants' moisture levels more constant.

Share 1/2 pint of vinegar between two watering cans full of water, and soak the area with them.

Reaction score
Different varieties are likely to be healthier, and are also likely to extend your crop.

Clear out the ground, so that there is no competition for nutrients.

Mulch is excellent, as it doesn't just suppress weeds, but keeps your plants' moisture levels more constant.

Share 1/2 pint of vinegar between two watering cans full of water, and soak the area with them.

Thank you! I have discovered that there are a couple large tree roots (2" thick) in this area. Would you suggest I find a different spot? Or would just those few large roots not matter too much?

Reaction score
Hi!

I live in NH, and when it comes to gardening, I really have no idea what I'm doing. And I don't grow flowers, just vegetables, which normally grow just fine. Well, except for corn, but that's another story.

Anyway, I REALLY want to plant blueberry bushes this weekend. I have always wanted blueberries! I have a spot in my yard that seems about right--lots of sun, and there are already rocks around it, as there used to be big flowering bushes there when we bought the house. I called them ant bushes because ants wouldn't stay out of the big white flowers. I hated them, so I let someone come and dig them up. I tried strawberries there, but I couldn't keep the berries off the ground, and bugs and critters ate them all. Big, hearty blueberry bushes seem to be a good bet.

Well, where do I start? I hand-tilled all the 3-ft high grass and weeds out of the plot last night. But there is still dense grass between the rocks along the edge. How do blueberry bushes like grass? I'm wondering if it would be better to just remove the rocks and let grass grow normally, and let my husband mow and weed-whack around the blueberry bushes.... or if it would be better to keep the rocks, lay mulch? Does mulch keep weeds out? Does it really matter??

And since I do want these to do well, is it better to get multiple bushes of the same variety (I think I have space there for 3), or of multiple varieties?

See, I really don't know what I'm doing. Help me out, preferably with step-by-step recommendations! Thanks!

It is better to plant 2 or 3 different varieties of blueberries to pollinate.
Ideally, your soil pH should be between 4.5 and 5.0 before planting your blueberry bushes. They love full sun.
I suggest digging a large hole for each plant. Around each plant, lay down cardboard to smother out weeds. Using the soil from the holes, shovel over top of the cardboard.
Place blueberry plants into each hole and add regular dirt, garden soil mix, cedar or oak bark/mulch, compost or pine needles.

Reaction score
Hello, Nearly a year ago, I bought 2 blue berry plants. They told me it would be helpful to have 2 plants instead of one because it would help pollination and we'd get fruit more consistently hence 2 plants. I bought these plants with fruit and in the year since I've had them, I have not had a single fruit. I have used coffee grounds, got some actual acidic soil mixture from Home Depot but nothing seems to make a difference. Lately it has been changing color. Is it dying. Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 407
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 333
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 345

Ask a Question