A total change in my approach to a garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I feel sorry for you guys that have clay. It takes a ton of work and woodchips to change clay into a good garden tilth. And time, too. But once you have done that, you've got something good. I've been lucky to only have sandy loam, twice. My first home was built on an old potato farm, and my current home on cut-and-fill lowland, so I've been blessed. As I understand no-till farming, it does not apply favorably to gardening on a small scale, EXCEPT, as I do something similar, as above, with my concrete walkways, which shed water into the beds, too. The typical garden in a subdivision or city is protected from eroding winds by buildings and shrubs and trees, etc. Likewise, whatever washes away from heavy rain can't get too far.

My problem with no-till as the Link explains it is twofold: while farmland IS subject loose topsoil blowing away, gardens don't have winds similar in natural to vast, open plowed fields. A rototiller is not comparable to a tractor in weight or compacting, either. If a "garden" is comparable to a farm, then I'm excluding that from my commentary, here. Please do not call me out because your 3 acre "garden" is on the lee side of the Rockies at 10° tilt and you get Chinook winds. Big rains on loose soil on open land does move downhill. But that's not applicable to a city-size garden either because they are usually cut-outs within a lawn, or at least a yard. Whatever washes away from heavy rain can't get too far. I can understand that the trade-off between land blowing and washing away verses allowing more weeds to grow is a toss-up, and I don't envy the decision maker because I consider that to be a lose-lose situation. Preventing weeds from getting to seed stage is paramount in my whole yard. Weed seeds blow in or are brought by my feathered friends and my job is to spot weeds before they do their duty. Sometimes I even sneak into my neighbors' yards to pull an offender. A good defense requires less offense.:smug:

Now for the meat: worms love loose soil, the looser, the better. If the soil is turned to the depth of a digging fork and then covered with a heavy mulch year-around it will be a worm farm and will NOT compact much at all for a year or more. Of equal importance, microbes also thrive in such conditions and turning with a fork absolutely, positively, with out reservation, damages NOTHING, especially microbe colonies. The combination of aerating with a fork or even with a rototiller every year and covering with a heavy mulch (I use leaves and grass clipping) is the very best you can do for your soil. Period.:smug:
Meh. Worms love to eat and they eat bacteria. They consist of a mouth, gut and pooper. Feed the bacteria some molasses and the worm mounds appear like magic in clay without mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, clay loam is as good as any other, maybe better. But, gotta get something in-between them particles, like humus bearing fibers. Mulch turn, mulch turn, mulch turn, ad infinitum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
:rolleyes:I'm beginning to think you don't got no mulch down there. ?
Oh thats not the problem. The problem is if you put mulch down there then 6 months later it has been eaten away to nothing. It is hard to impress outsiders with the heat energy and humidity levels we experience that contribute to the culinary spectacle that goes on in the top layers of this southern clay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh thats not the problem. The problem is if you put mulch down there then 6 months later it has been eaten away to nothing. It is hard to impress outsiders with the heat energy and humidity levels we experience that contribute to the culinary spectacle that goes on in the top layers of this southern clay.
It's incredible how fast all the soil organisms eat away the mulch in my yard; that's why I got a pick up truck, got sick of using a wheel barrel. I did one trip with ~30-bags of leaves that was a 1/2-mile from my house....that sucked!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In my fourth years involvement in Horticulture I have never heard anyone say that their soil is so good that they don't need to dig it. This statement quite bluntly is complete and utter nonsense and goes against good Horticultural practice. Sorry to sound so scaving, I must explain my reasons herein. Firstly, we need to get air into the soil to allow winter conditions to break down harmful bacteria and control annual weed growth. Secondly by turning the soil in Autumn we are improving the structure regardless of how fine or fertile it is. We are also mixing any ameliorants in whatever form they take. You will not upset destroy or offend the worms, as winter progressses and the soil gets colder the worms will Bury deeper, thus working the soil.Undug soil will eventually pan and cause disease problems. I have even seen panning on sandy soil which on the face of it is very strange. Hand digging with a spade is best on light soils, it is good to be able to turn the soil not least to get rid of pernicious weed roots, those long white almost tuberous roots.
Did you not absorb the fact that his soil is riddled with worms?
They aerate and lighten the soil to prevent panning, providing nutrients as they do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's incredible how fast all the soil organisms eat away the mulch in my yard; that's why I got a pick up truck, got sick of using a wheel barrel. I did one trip with ~30-bags of leaves that was a 1/2-mile from my house....that sucked!!
As far as I'm concerned, the faster your mulch is eaten away, the happier you should be..
I don't think you'll even have to use fertiliser, but if you do, a little woodash and urine will suffice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, the faster your mulch is eaten away, the happier you should be..
I don't think you'll even have to use fertiliser, but if you do, a little woodash and urine will suffice.
I agree. I have an interest in biochar as it helps slow the leaching effects of rain but that activity has to have some type of fuel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stuff that decomposes, as in a compost pile or as heavy/thick mulch, consumes N, so you need to add some. Not a lot, some, to bring it back to non-N-deficient. If you want more foliage growth, you add more for that, remembering that you want to give vegetables like tomatoes low rates and leafy things like lettuce more, etc. I agree that if your mulch is disappearing quickly you are benefiting quickly.

Yes, having lots and lots of worms is wonderful, and they do makes lots of aerating tunnels and leave lots of castings in little piles, but that's not a substitute for turning the soil which accelerates the process of putting all the ingredients in close association. The constituents of soil do not migrate by their own hand. If you pile two feet of manure on the top, rain will leach some good stuff into the mineral soil below the surface, but the fiberous material will remain in-place, on top until the wind blows it away over time. To get the best mix, you gotta mix! If you mulch heavily, it is arguably more beneficial to turn that decayed material into the soil, than it is to prevent weeds and retain soil moisture. The residue can blow away over time or feed them voracious microbes with worm castings and tiny little fibers (don't want them to get all bound up!), -your choice! If you calculate the amount of land which is fully tilled verses no-till, and ask yourself why the tiller's do all-l-l-l that work when they could just plow a single furrow, an answer will emerge: Production, with a capital P.:happy: The no-till farmers can only feed the rich people in Manhattan, the other guys are feeding the world.

What is woodash? Wood ash?

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you not absorb the fact that his soil is riddled with worms?
They aerate and lighten the soil to prevent panning, providing nutrients as they do.

I am sure Robert has absorbed the fact!

It depends how compact your soil is. It your clay can make brick, like mine, you will know that there is no way the soil is RIDDLED with worms. Perhaps you have never had the misfortune of working with clay! It's a different kind of beast altogether!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@alp I have clay lime yours. Tnere really was a pottery in town some 100 years ago...go figure. So that is why my garden are raised beds. And I get great drainage.. :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I have clay lime yours. Tnere really was a pottery in town some 100 years ago...go figure. So that is why my garden are raised beds. And I get great drainage.. :LOL:

I so wanted to pinch @roadrunner 's emoji, but failed miserably! You're such an inspiration, Lori!

Attachments

• 1547365946949.png
    1547365946949.png
    95 bytes · Views: 136

Ask a Question