A disappointing trip to Wally World

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
one time, shopping at Walmart. put in the veggie/ fruit plastic bag, 3 lemons and 2 limes together. so not to roll around etc. there were 3 for $$$ and 2 for $$$. no weight is involved with these items. so at the check out. clerk has to rip my bag apart and count them that way, she can't see through the plastic. I asked why, she said has to be done that way, I thought, BS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I didn't know any better I'd say Walmarts plants are dead before they are even unloaded from the truck HD and Lowes I have no problem with. The majority of their plants are on consignment from local growers. With that so are the people who take care of them. They are all employed by the local growers to protect their investment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last night on the way home from eating at our favorite Mexican restaurant I decided to stop at our local WalMart to see if they had any Azaleas for bonsai. The outside garden section was full of plants. Three weeks ago it was empty so I was pleasantly surprised. As I walked in I noticed many of the flowers on display were drooping. I processed to the back where the shrubs and vegetables were. Almost everything was dead. I felt the soil in several pots and it was bone dry. There were several nice plants that had already lost their leaves and were probably beyond salvage. All of the potted vegetables were dead. I couldn’t find one that looked like it would live. It is sad to think how many yards could have been beautified with these plants. Now, because of poor management, they will wind up in a dumpster. :mad:
Experienced the EXACT scenario at our northside Lowe's store last weekend.....bone-dry, wilted down flat flowers and veggies that were on display on the outside.....just walked away shaking my head.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I make no distinction between diy gc, or Asda Walmart plants. As long as they look they are going to live, I will buy them reduced. Dendrobium orchids finished flowering and were reduced to £1, I would still buy them. Love to bring them to life. Trouble is now some shops reduced by 1/3 and never go any lower and if the stuff doesn't sell, duster carts they go. You could email the CEOs to see if you can get better response or go to twitter and facebook so that they know what is going on. If you keep quiet, they would think everything is going well.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There's a reason for that, if folk know that they'll discount them even further they won't buy them next year, happened to our local nursery.

Thank you for the explanation! (y) That makes sense, they're refusing to play the waiting game. I wasn't waiting, I was just hoping to get lucky! :LOL:

It took a certain naughty gardener all evening to nick the lot of them :whistle:

:ROFLMAO: (y) :cool:

I thought about a bit of dumpster-diving, myself, but they're too far away for me to keep driving back to check. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I quite like the challenge of saving plants from the 'sick bay' section.

But agree that it is truly awful how some places care for these poor plants.The staff often have no relevant gardening knowledge and are given only the bare minimum instructions....if that!!!!

Makes me so cross to witness this:rage:

Ask a Question