6 apple trees all struggling with problem

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
Last year i planted 6 apple trees but all are riddled with a disease now and all losing leaves and holes in tiny little baby apples.
Is there anything i can do to save them or are they all best destroyed? They’re in a bad way now. Very frustrating :(

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpeg
    IMG_6931.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6928.jpeg
    IMG_6928.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6930.jpeg
    IMG_6930.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Sorry i forgot to mention, 6 trees and all 6 are different varieties and all 6 have same problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your trees have Apple Scab. It is a fungal disease that can weaken trees and disfigure fruit. There are several chemical fungicides to control it. For organic treatments use Sulfur, Neem or copper. It's too late to do anything now and you have to wait until winter to treat for next year.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Your trees have Apple Scab. It is a fungal disease that can weaken trees and disfigure fruit. There are several chemical fungicides to control it. For organic treatments use Sulfur, Neem or copper. It's too late to do anything now and you have to wait until winter to treat for next year.
Sorry to bother you again but are there any scab resistant apple trees that are easy to come by? I was thinking i might replace with resistant ones?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are quite a few, although none of them are varieties I've seen in stores. These are a few I found on Penn State's website.

Crimson Crisp
Crimson Gold
Crimson Topaz
Enterprise
Freedom
Galarina
Gold Rush
Jonafree
Liberty
Novamac
Nova Spy
Otava

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I read a book last year called "Sea Energy Agriculture" by Dr. Maynard Murray, and he explained how using sea minerals on plants and trees not only made them healthier and produced better fruit, but also protected them from disease.

I've no affiliation with the book or this website, but here it is for your reference:

Basically, he tested putting sea minerals on fruit trees and was able to show that the trees that received the sea minerals didn't get diseased when others did. You can buy agricultural sea minerals from a variety of places (I've no affiliation, but I buy from max-goodness.com):

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. All the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What it takes is a susceptible host, infecting organism and proper environmental conditions. Nutrients from any source have no bearing on infection or resistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
What it takes is a susceptible host, infecting organism and proper environmental conditions. Nutrients from any source have no bearing on infection or resistance.
Respectfully, I disagree, as Dr. Murray's research has proven that sea minerals actually do help with plant disease resistance. This means less susceptible hosts. He directly tested it on fruit trees, in fact. Minerals and nutrients do make for stronger, healthier, and more disease resistant plants.

Minerals greatly help in human health, as well, actually. Dr. Linus Pauling supported this understanding with his quote, "You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency." – Dr. Linus Pauling, two-time Nobel Prize Winner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Respectfully, I disagree, as Dr. Murray's research has proven that sea minerals actually do help with plant disease resistance. This means less susceptible hosts. He directly tested it on fruit trees, in fact. Minerals and nutrients do make for stronger, healthier, and more disease resistant plants.

Minerals greatly help in human health, as well, actually. Dr. Linus Pauling supported this understanding with his quote, "You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency." – Dr. Linus Pauling, two-time Nobel Prize Winner.
That certainly does make sense. In horticulture it's been a long time proven and accepted fact that healthier plants are naturally more resistant to both disease and insect infestation by having a stronger immune system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi all,
Last year i planted 6 apple trees but all are riddled with a disease now and all losing leaves and holes in tiny little baby apples.
Is there anything i can do to save them or are they all best destroyed? They’re in a bad way now. Very frustrating :(

Thanks in advance.
That may be part of your issue. In my mind with newly planted apple trees you should wait at least three years before allowing the tree to produce any fruit at all and even then keep it to a minimum. This allows the tree to grow a better root system to make for a healthier stronger tree.

Ask a Question