31 July 2017 Bean Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Big Favour to ask: would you take a look at this and see if it would suffice?
I'm only likely to cook small batches, at least to start with.
Btw, it's gone down £10 (C$16) since I looked at it earlier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Big Favour to ask: would you take a look at this and see if it would suffice?
I'm only likely to cook small batches, at least to start with.
Btw, it's gone down £10 (C$16) since I looked at it earlier.

URL missing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
IMO it is a decidedly piece of junk. This is a water bath canner not a pressure canner. Junk JUNK junk. No idea what thy are trying to pull.

Go PRESTO.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot justify the cost of PRESTO until I'm certain that both my wife and I will use home-canned produce.
So, whilst I recognise that one is not what I want, and I thank you for your time and effort, I've had to compromise.
Since we could use a new pressure cooker anyway, what I've done is buy a ten litre (~10qt) pressure cooker, which is far bigger than we'd normally have, but will allow small-scale canning at first.
This is the one I've bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007ADD...ve=22374&creativeASIN=B007ADDII6&linkCode=df0
Will take 3, and may take 4 x 1l (1qt) jars, which I'll be happy with, at least at first.
Now those jars...
Can I use silicon seal flip-top jars, or are this type the only ones usable?
1-Quart-Mason-Jars.jpg

The reason I ask is because I already have a number of Kilner flip-top jars for conventional pickling/preserving.

Since I'm already being a cheeky bugger by imposing on you so much, may I ask one more question? What is the expected shelf life, at room temp. of pressure canned produce?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Don't feel that you are imposing. I appreciate your interest.

The pressure canner looks marvelous. I have not used that type It is a good size. I am assuming that it can handle 10 one liter jars? The brand is similar to Presto.

Kilner flip-top jars I have no experience. I use the Ball type and have about 500. Any jar that seals after canning is fine. I even reuse the lids if not damaged. Any sealing gasket is fine. If not sealed after processing use the jar within a few days or redo it.

I keep my pressure canned produce for a year at least with confidence. It can probably be kept for several years. This is stored at room temperature.

Remember I use the slurry/juice method and have no experience with lump pressure canning. All my canning is done at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. This means all air removed and then timed when the pressure builds to 15 PSI.My method is totally safe probably due to the homogeneous nature of the jar contents. Most if not all the internet babble about Botulism is not applicable to my method.

Note, a jar that does not seal cannot have botulism. It can have other pathogens. Anything that looks spoiled or stinks must b thrown. I have never had a jar spoil in around ten years probably 3000 plus.

Another plus of pressure canning is there is no need to sterilize the jars. Just clean them carefully. The high temperature makes sterilization independently redundant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Don't feel that you are imposing. I appreciate your interest.

The pressure canner looks marvelous. I have not used that type It is a good size. I am assuming that it can handle 10 one liter jars? The brand is similar to Presto.

Kilner flip-top jars I have no experience. I use the Ball type and have about 500. Any jar that seals after canning is fine. I even reuse the lids if not damaged. Any sealing gasket is fine. If not sealed after processing use the jar within a few days or redo it.

I keep my pressure canned produce for a year at least with confidence. It can probably be kept for several years. This is stored at room temperature.

Remember I use the slurry/juice method and have no experience with lump pressure canning. All my canning is done at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. This means all air removed and then timed when the pressure builds to 15 PSI.My method is totally safe probably due to the homogeneous nature of the jar contents. Most if not all the internet babble about Botulism is not applicable to my method.

Note, a jar that does not seal cannot have botulism. It can have other pathogens. Anything that looks spoiled or stinks must b thrown. I have never had a jar spoil in around ten years probably 3000 plus.

Another plus of pressure canning is there is no need to sterilize the jars. Just clean them carefully. The high temperature makes sterilization independently redundant.
When I make wine, beer or cider, I sterilise everything, it's no real effort.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
They never mention how many liter jars that can be accommodated in their sales babble.

Four one liter jars would be reasonable. I find seven in the Presto to be ideal for my purposes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure vessel has arrived and looks good.
I decided against using those jars for pressure canning and decided instead to order 24x 1pt(US) and 24 x 1qt (US) Ball Mason jars.
I'll use the Kilner jars for high-acid preserving.

Plenty to get me started.
I've never used these jars before, and I'd be grateful for some guidance, at a very basic level.

BTW, I had further thoughts about lumps in my produce.
Veg are 90-odd % water, and you say 15min is overkill for liquid, so it would be enough, but, depending on what I'll be canning, I may add another 10%.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
First my 15 PSI at 15 minutes is my own practice, justified by my slurry/juice being homogeneous.
I never sterilize my jars considering the process to be adequate. I only clean normally.
When removing jar tops I am careful and do not bend or damage, so they can be reused in most cases.
If a jar does not seal when pressure canning I use the material immediately or redo the process.
I now never do water bath canning.
Apply oil to the gasket surface with your finger each time.
Never use the lid put on loosely, since it ruins the gaskets with heat.
I always add 3 liters of water. The cooker should never run out of water.
Remove all air, then place the rocker on, and start your timing when pressure reaches 15 PSI.

Ask a Question