30 June 2021 Unknown Plant. (Require Name)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
30 June 2021 Unknown Plant. (Require Name)
Posted on June 30, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/30 June 2021 Unknown Plant/HTML/ 30 June 2021 Unknown Plant
This plant has almost complexly covered the front lawn. There is almost no sign of the previous grass. I have a dislike for grass and this at first look is a fine replacement. I need the name for the product. This has appeared over the last few years from where I do not know.
dsc_0015_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8, RHS rating H4-H5
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not completely sure, but I think the one with the oval leaves may be Prunella vulgaris (Selfheal), Durgan.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As usual, I agree with Chuck :D

We call it Ground Ivy, even though it's in the mint family.

It used to be used as a beer preservative before Hops were invented. It makes a very effective cough medicine as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As usual, I agree with Chuck :D

We call it Ground Ivy, even though it's in the mint family.

It used to be used as a beer preservative before Hops were invented. It makes a very effective cough medicine as well.
In the US and I presume in Canada too, it is a hated weed that most folks spend a lot of money trying to get rid of. In most HOA's (home owners assc.) it is NOT allowed and they make the homeowners get rid of it. It is called Creeping Charlie for a reason. It creeps (and leaps) everywhere. It is very invasive and one who has it should be on very friendly terms with his neighbors, at least in Texas.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In the US and I presume in Canada too, it is a hated weed that most folks spend a lot of money trying to get rid of. In most HOA's (home owners assc.) it is NOT allowed and they make the homeowners get rid of it. It is called Creeping Charlie for a reason. It creeps (and leaps) everywhere. It is very invasive and one who has it should be on very friendly terms with his neighbors, at least in Texas.

It do creep here too, but the flowers look lovely in the spring :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8, RHS rating H4-H5
Country
United Kingdom
It do creep here too, but the flowers look lovely in the spring :)

Was just discussing this plant yesterday with another butterfly enthusiast, have never come across it before but may well introduce it to my lawn. Very good for Spring butterflies apparently, specifically Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Orange Tips. Bee-flies are also fans from what I've heard!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Was just discussing this plant yesterday with another butterfly enthusiast, have never come across it before but may well introduce it to my lawn. Very good for Spring butterflies apparently, specifically Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Orange Tips. Bee-flies are also fans from what I've heard!

I love the flowers, they're only about 6 inches tall :)

Ask a Question