Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
26 June 2021 Gardening
Posted on June 26, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/26 June Garden/HTML/ 26 June 2021 Garden
Gardening Overview.
This article is about vegetable use for the off season time. The cultivated area is urban about 1200 square feet cultivated, The preservation is pressure canning, and root cellar. Only plant products are addressed. It takes several years to produce an effective, useful garden. The internet helps but there is much useless babble.
General: Weather is always a limiting factor. My Zone 5 is being considered. There are about 3 months frost free, June, July and August, extended to May and September with frost expected. Soil has to be quality, access to water and full Sun is necessary.
Power tools are corded electric for such a area size. Economic and seldom require repair, and they start on demand. An electric tiller and a weed whacker are probably two essentials.
Various hand tools, wheelbarrow, hoe, rake and shovel, knee pads,watering hose.
Limit plants to useful essentials for beginning growing. Tomatoes, potatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, green bush beans, turnip, Brussel sprouts, kale, peppers, basal, purslane, dill. It takes experience to determine the quantity required.
Insects are always present and it take experience to determine methods to limit damage. I don’t use pesticides.
Seed germination is always of concern. Eventfully methods to assure growth are possible.
Weeds are always present Constant regular hoeing is required.
Animals can be a misery, rabbits and birds and other creatures have to be considered. Chickens wire fencing and air bag scarecrow help. Netting is mostly ineffective.
Fruit can be added. Black currants, gooseberry, peach, cherry, concord grape vine, raspberry.
dsc_0020_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
looks awesome! How many brussels sprouts? do you can any of them or eat all fresh

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Sometimes the stalks are huge with many small cabbages. Jade Cross; I now only plant about 8 for processing and Summer use.
13 September 2020 Brussels Spouts
Posted on September 13, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/_September 2020_/13 September 2020 Brussels Spouts/HTML/ 13 September 2020 Brussels Spouts
The small cabbages were removed from four plants and made into slurry/juice to preserve. The last of the eggplant was added. They were processed and preserved by pressure canning at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Annotated pictures depict the process.
dsc_5448_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
they look great. I have been growing them for about 6 years and have only gotten them that big once

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I usually grow 8 and they get about 3 feet tall. I have to deter the white cabbage butterfly, and rabbits when the plants are small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
what and when do you fertilize? and do you trim the leaves up as they grow? thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The cabbages are removed from the bottom of the plant. Only a few are needed for a meal,

I compost prior to planting and seldom add NPK pellets during growth. A sprinkle of NPK when rototilling in the Fall ,Nitrogen, to assist in breaking down the applied wood chips.

fall to ssist breakown o the wood chips.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Another small bed away from the main garden for asparagus is ideal. Five by eight feet properly prepared will last probably 20 years and produce about 10 pounds from 10 May to 10 June yearly about 1/2 to 1 pound of asparagus every second day. I planted about 8 roots of Guelph millennium.

3 May 2021 Asparagus
Posted on May 4, 2021 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2021/May 2021/3 May 2121 Asperagus/HTML/ 3 May 2021 Asparagus
First asparagus of 2021 Season, 288 grams. From the small bed there will be about 15 pounds cut over about 30 days. Asparagus is perennial.
dsc_0001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
A bed about 3 by 8 feet for raspberries is a real treat in September. Every other day until a severe frost is a breakfast treat. Amazing the quantity picked. They need little care.

https://durgan.org/2012/September 2012/30 September 2012 Raspberry Picked today./HTML/
The little raspberry patch is still producing. Twenty two ounces picked today. This is probably the end of the season except for a few isolated berries before the frost arrives.
30%20september%202012%20pumpkin%20aand%20raspberry%20052_std.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question