Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess first on my list would be a variegated iris. :love:

th
. .
th

Second: After @Verdun's glowing praise, I am getting Heliotrope for next year. :)

The third one... (Oh no!! Anxiety setting in!!) .... I want to leave my options open... I have a fear of commitment!! I'll have to think about it... :unsure:

Sometimes the American Twang sounds so sexy and yet sometimes sound so loud.

The accents differ so much in this country, it's amazing. I once talked to a man from Boston, he was trying to explain to me that they couldn't swim in the bay, because of the shocks in the water. :confused: I kept asking him, "Shocks? Shocks in the water?" He repeated, "Yes, shocks! There are shocks in the bay!"

I had no idea what he was talking about. (Fallen electrical lines? Wouldn't they fix that?) He was looking at me like I was a total moron, and after about ten minutes, he finally he made a swimming motion with his hands and yelled, "Shocks! Shocks! They come in from the ocean!!"
smack.gif
He was saying "Sharks." :banghead:

Even within a family! I have the Ohio pronunciation of the word "watch." (The timepiece, not the verb.) My sister picked up the Pennsylvania pronunciation from our parents. When I say it, it rhymes with "botch," the way she says it, it rhymes with "hutch." o_O

It's like MaryMary calling garden a yard.

:confused: Hmm... have I done that? The garden is where the flowers or vegetables are, and the yard is a wide expanse of grass. No?

Alp, we Americans have been changing the names of things for years!

Oh my, yes!! We will gleefully steal any word we like the sound of. :ROFLMAO: And if we can't say it right, we'll still steal it!! The word "buckaroo" is just a really bad mispronunciation of the word "vaquero." :rolleyes: :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Guess what, @MaryMary I have never seen a variegated iris until now! Amazing! I have a penchant for variegated leaves, variegated wiegela, variegated euonymus, variegated holly. I was looking at a lovely variegated holly with berries on for under £3 last Sunday. I was so tempted. I have always been a sucker for variegated holly with red berries. This old gentleman next to me pointed out that the berries were plastic! :eek::eek::eek: Absolutely CRIMINAL to do that!:LOL:

They come in from the ocean!!"
smack.gif
He was saying "Sharks." :banghead:
LOOOOVE IT! I know what you mean.

I was horrified to read that some Liverpudlian has gone to Macau and teach children there their accent.. Mamamia! I want a refund. I love the Received Pronunciation.

Once I had a conversation with some lady working for Apple (yes, Apple) from Ireland. It took me a long time to understand that she was from APPLE! She had a most funny way of pronouncing the word APPLE.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My friend from Boston once told me he had to buy his wife a birthday cod! I didn't even know she liked fish!:ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When I worked in a supermarket, this young boy told me a lady customer kept asking him if he had time. He said yes and told her the time, 3pm. After a bit of repeated questions, he realised she asked for thyme!:LOL:

Ask a Question