3 most desired plants?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now that Christmas is upon us soon, what are the three most desired plants that you want to receive as Christmas presents please?

You can change the font to this size and bold so that everybody in the house can see what you want for Christmas!

For me,

A sweet apricot tree
upload_2017-11-27_18-23-38.jpeg

some erythroniums, any colour

upload_2017-11-27_18-24-52.jpeg

images

Any yellow snowdrop

images

Oh, crumbs! I can't sit there just looking at them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Believe me, my dear husband knows what plants I want! An Oakleaf hydrangea, another Lady Hillingdon rose (one is not enough), and a pot of lemongrass are on my list. I'll get these Christmas gifts in the spring (except the Lady H. who is on the way--we plant roses in the late fall so they get well established before the heat hits). He has promised me a trip to an herb nursery in the early spring.
His gift is not having to dig the holes to plant my gifts! This made him very merry . . . .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just three?

Realistically, I can't limit myself to just three, but to abide by the rules, I just picked these three randomly from the many species that I want. :)

#1 on my list is Wood Lily (Lilium philadelphicum). I actually got seeds for it last year, but they grow SO slow. After growing since Spring, they're only a half inch tall and we'll see whether or not any survive winter, but I'm not expecting them to. Even if they do survive, it could be five or more years before they produce flowers. No garden centers sell it, probably because of how difficult they are and how long they take.
woodlily.jpg

Another plant I'd like is Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria). For some reason, this plant is also not in any garden centers near me, even though other Dicentra species are commonly seen in garden centers.
dutch__82033.1504406252.jpg

I've been hesitating on getting Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) for years, but I really want to try it out and see if it'd grow. I'd plant it in my pond's bog filter and hopefully it'd work there. It's a Hummingbird magnet. This one IS in garden centers near me, so maybe I'll pick one up next year and give it a try. Fittingly, it also has a Christmasy look to it.
lobelia1.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just three?

Realistically, I can't limit myself to just three, but to abide by the rules, I just picked these three randomly from the many species that I want. :)

#1 on my list is Wood Lily (Lilium philadelphicum). I actually got seeds for it last year, but they grow SO slow. After growing since Spring, they're only a half inch tall and we'll see whether or not any survive winter, but I'm not expecting them to. Even if they do survive, it could be five or more years before they produce flowers. No garden centers sell it, probably because of how difficult they are and how long they take.
View attachment 29896

Another plant I'd like is Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria). For some reason, this plant is also not in any garden centers near me, even though other Dicentra species are commonly seen in garden centers.
View attachment 29898

I've been hesitating on getting Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) for years, but I really want to try it out and see if it'd grow. I'd plant it in my pond's bog filter and hopefully it'd work there. It's a Hummingbird magnet. This one IS in garden centers near me, so maybe I'll pick one up next year and give it a try. Fittingly, it also has a Christmasy look to it.
View attachment 29899

Lovely Dicentra cucullaria. Never heard of it or seen it. If you can buy seeds, they grow very quickly. Lillium you mention: if you can get a bulblet, or scale a bulb, it can flower within 2 or 3 years. I used to think Lobelia cardinalis very difficult to grow. I raised them from seeds and it was a no-hopper. After 3 consecutive attempts with no result, I bought one in a 3L pot reduced to £2.99. I kept it in water (at the base) nearly throughout the winter. I saw tons of healthy little plants coming from the side. I just removed them and potted them up an planted some in the border. I am thrilled to say I have a red and a pink ones now.

Lovely photos as usual, JB!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 29905 View attachment 29904 A bigger garden but 3!
Clematis pernele
View attachment 29903

Nomocharis Aperta

Top one Meconopsis Jimmy Bayne
View attachment 29905 View attachment 29904 A bigger garden but 3!
Clematis pernele
View attachment 29903

Nomocharis Aperta

Top one Meconopsis Jimmy Bayne

I love all meconopsis . I am keeping my finger crossed that I will have some this year! I thought they grow like weed in the NE. Stunning colour.

Ooops, I forgot the nomacharis.. I need to save up to buy bulbs.. Such a unique flower.

As for clematis, I would like a Monty, Princess Kate and an evergreen Freckles or Napaulensis.

Stunning photos and great choices..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
#1 is a Honey Crisp apple tree

#2 is a Pecan tree

#3 is a Filbert nut tree

I think I see a pattern here.

I'd love a Pecan tree as well. I actually raised one from seed and the seedling was about 4 inches tall and it was snapped .. I was so upset. I now have a sweet chestnut tree, an almond tree.. I have never heard of a Filbert nut tree.. Gone to google now and then back to bed. I thought it was 6am!

Ah, a cobnut family tree. Thank you for the education, @Silentrunning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Filbert is hazelnut alp.
Not sure I have any plants on my wish list right now. I am sure that will change though :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the American way of naming it. One person commented on another's spelling, saying that the check should be spelt cheque. Well, it is the correct American way of spelling. It's like MaryMary calling garden a yard. And Americans call our bin a trash can .. Same difference ..

Come on, Verdun! You must have some. I wanted to add your Edgeworthia, then I realised that I did say three, Why did I say three.. I myself have a long list .. Protea, Normocharis, more meconopsis, a nectarine tree, a pink lady apple tree.. When Judge Judith Sheidlin said when she wanted to relax, she would eat a pink lady .. That brings a smile to my face.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Next time the shop up the road reduces the funny shaped chillis, I will buy some and harvest the seeds. I was holding one the other day! Fun!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning alp.....no, nothing screaming at me at all right now. Plenty of new plants either planted or potted that need homes :)
Once grew what was, reputedly, the hottest chili in the world. The mischievous part of me had fun at the time:p
I guess meconopsis baileyii is always desirable but neither the climate nor soil here is suitable to grow it really well. (Hmmmmm......although I could create suitable spot!!! Maybe!!:whistle:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning alp.....no, nothing screaming at me at all right now. Plenty of new plants either planted or potted that need homes :)
Once grew what was, reputedly, the hottest chili in the world. The mischievous part of me had fun at the time:p
I guess meconopsis baileyii is always desirable but neither the climate nor soil here is suitable to grow it really well. (Hmmmmm......although I could create suitable spot!!! Maybe!!:whistle:)

I think you can. At least my meconopsis are still alive in my nursery bed. I have tons of hellebores seeds growing there, as well as the Trollius Chinensis.

I am a sad case - everything is SCREAMING at me.. for example, Thalictrum, the tallest and purest yellow rudbeckia.. the smaller version of agapanthus, hepaticas..

The horrible thing is that they are all out of season erythronium, nomocharis ..

Folks, check this one out - his inspiration is from the States ..

Ask a Question