1st time seed starting (T5/heatmat Germination Project)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Status update 7 days since planting seeds. Most tomatoes are up, squash, pumpkins and lettuce doing strongly. Cilantro and peppers... not one yet but they are sprouted from their little seeds just not 1/4" up yet. Late bloomers I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Ok so day 11 and I think whatever is popped up is what's going to germinate. I pulled out a pumpkin and the entire 3x3x3 cube is roots... I just gave everything 1/4 teaspoon of fish emulsion fertilizer mixed in a gallon of water. It might not have even been that much but the new leaves are coming out. Monday or Thursday they may get potted into the 1 gal pots. Depends on my schedule. Do they look like they need more light? They are under the t5 bulbs but I have been bringing them out on cloudy days as well. Its 60° and cloudy. A wild Turkey already spotted them and I had to shoo him off. They literally poop on my deck. I like them around. Let me know what you think. Some are leaning to the light but it might be placement too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Quick weekend update. I think we finally hit the last frost. A cold snap came at 38 degrees but most nights are around 45 or so. Re potted the squash, pumpkins and melons today. I would put them in the ground but the turkeys will eat them if I leave them alone too soon. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks. Soil is 2 parts local soil, one handful of pearlite and 1 part potting soil and coir mixed (all my leftovers together)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's a lot of pots! Why the stair step approach? Could you not just put them directly in the ground now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
I have about 100 wild turkeys that wander around on my property from time to time. They would gobble up the plants being so young and soft. (Excuse the pun)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
So I'm wondering if I have been causing all my own problems. I have used fish emulsion oil since my green flower growing days. I recently repotted my squash/pumpkins into 1 gal containers to let them get bigger before allowing them out with the wild turkeys. After fertilizing them with the fish emulsion oil the turkeys, cats and even quail came to visit and see my progress. I'm thinking the fish smell might be attracting wildlife even at low concentrations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Another weekly update. I will probably do this once a month after this. Lots of plants are thriving. Less than a month after planting the seeds this is what I have. I started batch #2 of some more "exotic" veggies. Striped tomatoes, habanero peppers ect. Along with cucumbers and snap peas. Hoping to pick up a self driving tiller type machine this week. Scouring craigslist now for just the right one. Area is weedeated and ready for tilling. Photos of plants and location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Also I turned off the t5 bulbs and heat mat now that it is significantly warmer. Peppers and seedlings are in my makeshift greenhouse made from an old carport and home depot plastic.

Total count as of now is:
18 Jack o lantern pumpkins
4 Honey rock
4 Casper pumpkin
6 cilantro
2 Congo Watermelon
18 yellow squash
5 cantaloupe
35 beef tomatoes
27 cherry tomatoes
12 pablano peppers
16 bell peppers
Lettuce (almost too much trouble)

Very happy with the results just waiting on the plants to get big enough to survive grazing turkeys. Tilling, tieing and drip line to come. And more seedlings... because it's fun and free (practically)

Ask a Question