100% leaf compost in raised bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting my first garden in a raised bed and I filled it with 3 or 4 year old leaf compost and mixed in a little peat moss. Will this work for growing tomatoes and green beans? There are some small weeds growing, so I'm guessing my plants should grow.

Thanks,
Shayn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Shayn, welcome :) Leaf mold is used as a soil improver, but if there is no soil to improve it will be useless in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use leaf mold in my garden and this is all native tree leaves. I rake off all I can of this years leaf fall. What is left I scrape up with a square nosed shovel. This stuff is rotted leaves and fully composted leaves and it is old . A lot of it looks like dirt but when put into a glass jar full of water it is 75% organic matter and very little soil. I have been using this stuff for years. I tried using it full strength but the uncomposted material depleted the nitrogen too much. I have found out over the years that about 30% of this stuff mixed in with soil is the best use of this organic matter. And it does work........REALLY WELL

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use leaf mold in my garden and this is all native tree leaves. I rake off all I can of this years leaf fall. What is left I scrape up with a square nosed shovel. This stuff is rotted leaves and fully composted leaves and it is old . A lot of it looks like dirt but when put into a glass jar full of water it is 75% organic matter and very little soil. I have been using this stuff for years. I tried using it full strength but the uncomposted material depleted the nitrogen too much. I have found out over the years that about 30% of this stuff mixed in with soil is the best use of this organic matter. And it does work........REALLY WELL

So if I was to buy soil to mix with this what should I buy top soil, garden soil, or?

Thanks,
Shasyn

Ask a Question