Zz Plant problem.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I have joined because I love plants. I need your help with some issues I am facing with my ZZ plant.

I am so confused as to why the plant leaves are closed inwardly. There is growth yes but I have not seen the leaves closed up like this. I water the plant twice a week as I am afraid to over water it.

Can someone please help me understand the reason and how to resolve the issue. I have attached the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_112548.jpg
    IMG_20220817_112548.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220817_112557.jpg
    IMG_20220817_112557.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220817_112604.jpg
    IMG_20220817_112604.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the GF forums.
Has the pot got drainage holes in the bottom? I don't know why it's done that but what i read it can be forgotten about and likes it better out of direct sunlight.
But i found this.

Water your ZZ Plant every 2-3 weeks, allowing the soil to dry out between waterings. Expect to water more often in brighter light and less often in lower light. Signs that it is thirsty include wilting, wrinkled leaves, and dry potting mix, while wet mix or yellowing and mushy leaves signal overwatering and root rot.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Logan, thanks for your response.

Water every 2-3 weeks? Are you sure coz my plant soil gets extremely dry if I don't water at least twice a week. I have been thinking maybe because of less water the leaves are closed. Usually I see the leaves are open and look so pretty at one of my friend house and he waters thrice a week and it's growing so well, I don't know why my plant is like this :-(

Yes the pot has drainage holes.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Good about the drainage holes.
Just have to keep a check on the soil,if it's dry then water it. But perhaps the leaves are getting dry where it is. Perhaps it's too warm for it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps it's too warm for it.
From what I understand the Summer norm is in the mid thirties, but there has been a real heatwave there recently with temperatures in the 40's, so that does seem very possible, is it opening up again now the temperature has started to drop a bit?

"Started to drop..." us folk in the South of England were gasping with the heat at 35 last week :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked on Google and they say just over 18 to just over 29 is the ideal temperature, though they are 'pretty tolerant'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in India.
I saw that, mentioned it to the Missus who started a trip in Delhi about four years ago, and she said it was very humid when she was there. Could be temperature or humidity, or a combination of the two.
The other things Google said could affect leaves were over or under watering, being pot bound, and bright sunlight, but it didn't really look as though they would affect them that way. It was things like drooping and yellowing, and yours still look quite healthy.

Ask a Question