Aster plant problem - disease or bugs?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We recently bought two Aster plants for our balcony. They were in 1 gallon nursery pots when we go them on May 22, and the salesperson told us that they would be fine in these pots for the summer. However, neither plant is doing well - they both developed spots on the leaves, which later are turning into small holes. I first thought it's powdery mildew, but I'm not so sure about it any more.

We have replanted them in larger containers about a week ago, which didn't make a difference. As of now, both plants seem to be dying - I can't see any new leaves and the leaves that they have are decaying. Pictures are below.

Has anyone seen this before? What (if anything) can we do to save these plants? Thank you.

IMG_20210626_1428483.jpg

IMG_20210626_1428421.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Not looking good. This probably comes under the heading. Aster Wilt. Aphids along with other insect and creepy crawlies will cause similar looking effects. Spraying can destroy the invaders, but the plant will not repair itself. The affected parts will die off and in time be replaced by new growth. Preventative spry precautions can now be used.

However in this case. It looks more like a fungal attack. Fusarium oxysporum is the culprit fungus. Destroy the plant and also the compost. Sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much water have you given these plants? Welcome to the forums anyway :) Don't get too despondent - we can't win 'em all.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you both for your replies and welcoming me to the forums.

We water them well every three to four days (to the point of water running from the drain holes on the bottom of the container). Is that too much or too little? Should they get less water but more frequently? They are both Aster dumosis (Wood's pink and Wood's purple), if that matters. Thanks.

I hope this is just a watering problem and not the dreaded Fusarium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8, RHS rating H4-H5
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, after trying a couple in pots I've come to the conclusion that they aren't really container plants. They need to go in the ground with plenty of space to perform their best, and by plenty of space I mean the maximum width ever possible for them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As @Mike Allen already said, it's not looking good. Asters don't like being watered too much at all, and being in a pot with lots of watering is just making them much more prone to fungal diseases.

Ask a Question