Found this guy on my carrots - eastern black swallowtail caterpillar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Last night I found this guy munching on my carrot tops:

597VrjA.jpg

This is a fifth instar eastern black swallowtail caterpillar that I placed on some parsnip thinnings and brought in. After the kids had a good look (they were in their pjs so didn't get to go back out) I went back out to look for more. I now have a a few third instar and a forth instar caterpillar plus several eggs. At least two of the eggs hatched since being brought in.

The kids and I will keep these in a bucket with parsnip and carrot greens to grow out and watch then release when they hatch / emerge as butterflies.

I started two store bought carrot tops in water thinking they will help provide fodder for these gluttonous monsters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you have parsley or dill, those are their main food sources. It should be early enough that they will hatch this year but black swallowtails can take months to hatch. W wintered over 9 last year in my shed and released them in April. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@roadrunner I've read that Rue is one of the best host plants for these guys. I plan on putting some in when I really start to tweak the landscaping here. I also think a tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) is in our future as that is the host for the tiger swallowtail and there are a bunch of those flying around.

The caterpillar in the original photo has emerged from the chrysalis as a butterfly and flew off. That happened 4 or 5 days ago.

But we found more on the carrots and have adopted them as short term pets... 13 in chrysalis, one hunting for a place to hang, one small caterpillar. We've stopped bringing anymore in.

Ask a Question