Found these in my yard. Northeast Tennessee Zone 6A

Reaction score
Country
United States
What they of mushrooms are these? We have a 5 year old and an 11 week old puppy. Not sure who is the more curious one. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4131BFBE-0E16-48DB-A9F4-E2DF3A11176C.jpeg
    4131BFBE-0E16-48DB-A9F4-E2DF3A11176C.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know the name of the mushroom but I know the mushroom and you don't have anything to worry about with your pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
First and foremost!!! If you have mushrooms that you cannot 100% identify and are known to be safe to eat raw, then you need to get rid of them immediately and treat the ground with a fungicide. Especailly if you have children or pets. Mushrooms (and "toadstools" which are still mushrooms) can be extremely poisonous and cause anything from sickness to dangerous illnesses, permanent internal organ damage and death. Mushroom identification is a tricky business and best left to the experts. Some look virtually identical and a few years ago a Japanese family in Oregon suffered severe illness, liver damage and one death from eating highly poisonous mushrooms they found in the woods and mistook for an edible Japanese variety they were very familiar with.

That being said, this appears to be an inverted mushroom - the gills are on the top exposed surface. There are not many true inverted mushrooms and virtually all are types of ink cap. These appear to be either Parasola Plicatilis - Pleated Ink Cap, or Parasola Auricoma - Goldenhaired Ink Cap but it could be one of the Coprinellus varieties. These are not safe to eat raw and though some ink caps can be consumed after cooking, alergic reactions are still possible. However it's not worth the risk, especially if you cannot 100% identify them. Think lottery ticket - how often do you lose!

Reaction score
Country
United States
First and foremost!!! If you have mushrooms that you cannot 100% identify and are known to be safe to eat raw, then you need to get rid of them immediately and treat the ground with a fungicide. Especailly if you have children or pets. Mushrooms (and "toadstools" which are still mushrooms) can be extremely poisonous and cause anything from sickness to dangerous illnesses, permanent internal organ damage and death. Mushroom identification is a tricky business and best left to the experts. Some look virtually identical and a few years ago a Japanese family in Oregon suffered severe illness, liver damage and one death from eating highly poisonous mushrooms they found in the woods and mistook for an edible Japanese variety they were very familiar with.

That being said, this appears to be an inverted mushroom - the gills are on the top exposed surface. There are not many true inverted mushrooms and virtually all are types of ink cap. These appear to be either Parasola Plicatilis - Pleated Ink Cap, or Parasola Auricoma - Goldenhaired Ink Cap but it could be one of the Coprinellus varieties. These are not safe to eat raw and though some ink caps can be consumed after cooking, alergic reactions are still possible. However it's not worth the risk, especially if you cannot 100% identify them. Think lottery ticket - how often do you lose!
Thank you so very much for your well thought out reply! That was very informative and I appreciate your time in writing it. As another commenter said, they were gone by the next day. Don’t worry, the only mushrooms I eat are from the grocery store. Lol. But I will keep that in mind if I’m ever in a situation to debate my chances. I hope you have a great week!

Ask a Question