Arbor day foundation trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sundays to arbor day foundation this year and got some trees as a thank you. Anyone else get this promo?

3 redbud
2 Sargent crabapple
2 Washington hawthorn
3 white dogwood
2 crepe myrtle

Unfortunately that came while I was out of town at a funeral (I think people will forgive us traveling during this crisis for a funeral). Anyway, they say in the shopping bag for about a week. I put them in some water this morning and plan to plant them later this morning. Hopefully they will be ok. I've got a sandy open field behind our lot that I'm hoping I can get some to take in. This is also to offset the 7 trees around the house we just removed, 5 live oak and to southern magnolias.

I know none of the trees I got are a real replacement for the majesty of the live oak or magnolia, but those two are beasts to tame on a residential lot! We have several more of both and they reproduce like rabbits, so I think we are ok there!

So anyone else get in on this promo? Did your trees take ok? How fast do these varieties establish themselves? My irrigation doesn't reach where I'm putting them, so I'll have to manually water them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I got the same deal last year. I have them planted in 3 gallon pots with a good grade of gardening soil. They all thrived last year and made it through this winter just fine. I will give them 1 more year in the pots before putting them in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get this every year. Most time the trees that they have are not compatible with my area whether it be climate or soil. For instance the redbud tree. They offer the eastern redbud but the only redbud that grows here is the Texas/Oklahoma redbud. Most of the crepe myrtles are ok but even some of them do poorly here. Just research a little before you go out and dig a hole and spend money on something that doesn't grow well in your area. Otherwise it is a great project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't do it for the trees really, seemed like a good place to donate a little cash. The trees were a bonus, so if they all fail I'm not going to be upset about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They won’t fail. These people know their trees and how to prepare them. As Chuck said, their success depends on how they adapt to your climate. However, if you are like me, I enjoy bending or breaking the rules of agriculture. I have both Palm trees and Larch growing in North Carolina.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Funny thing, I planted them in the field and forgot to take markers with me. Went back to Mark them later and could only find 8 of the 12!. Some were pretty small sticks and they blend in!! We're supposed to get a little rain the next few days, I hope so. I had a hard time reaching them with the hose. Had three connected together!

Ask a Question