Identifying problem with blackberry plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know the issue that affecting this blackberry plant? Thank you.

Additional info:
Chester Thornless Blackberry
Repotted ~ 1 months ago, added half of recommended 4-4-4 fertilizer dose
Does not appear to affect new growth
Zone 8
photo_2022-05-06_09-01-51.jpg
photo_2022-05-06_09-01-55.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If new growth is not affected the plant will probably grow out of this nutrient deficiency but I suspect it will affect the new growth soon. The plant is suffering from a micro-nutrient deficiency probably either magnesium, zinc or iron. Fertilize full strength and add either greensand, azomite, liquid seaweed or chelated iron.
What soil did you repot with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If new growth is not affected the plant will probably grow out of this nutrient deficiency but I suspect it will affect the new growth soon. The plant is suffering from a micro-nutrient deficiency probably either magnesium, zinc or iron. Fertilize full strength and add either greensand, azomite, liquid seaweed or chelated iron.
What soil did you repot with?
I appreciate your response. I used "Kellogg Garden Organics Organic Raised Bed Soil". I do not have the packaging anymore but this is what I found online:
  • All organic with added nutrients from: earthworm castings, poultry manure & kelp meal
  • pH Range 5.8 – 7.5
  • (0.30-0.10-0.10)
With the amendments you suggested, am I correct to assume that old leaves would not revert back but new and existing unaffected growth should no longer be affected? Also, are there any, preferably organic products that you suggest? Currently looking at this line of products:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I appreciate your response. I used "Kellogg Garden Organics Organic Raised Bed Soil". I do not have the packaging anymore but this is what I found online:
  • All organic with added nutrients from: earthworm castings, poultry manure & kelp meal
  • pH Range 5.8 – 7.5
  • (0.30-0.10-0.10)
With the amendments you suggested, am I correct to assume that old leaves would not revert back but new and existing unaffected growth should no longer be affected? Also, are there any, preferably organic products that you suggest? Currently looking at this line of products:
The soil you used is a great soil, BUT, it has very small amounts of actual nutrients, both macro and micro nutrients. The pictures show a deficiency of either iron, zinc or magnesium. This is shown by the yellowing of the leaf with green veins. Nitrogen chlorosis is not showing as of yet but it will. You must fertilize with a good organic fertilizer such as Medina Grow N Green AND you must also add micro nutrients. The azomite you linked to is a great product and will serve your purpose very well. Some of the leaves will revert back to green but others will not. You will soon be able to tell. Your plant will not be greatly affected by the lack of nutrients at this time but you must address the problem ASAP or your plant will become stunted.

Ask a Question