Identifying Tomato Problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I'm from Southern Ontario in Canada and I'm having problems with the lower branches on my tomato plants that have been, as of a week ago, transplanted into a newly built raised bed garden. The garden is a foot deep and is filled with triple mix I purchased recently at my local garden supply store. I applied the recommended amount of CIL 6-12-12 tomato fertilizer to the soil and mixed it in and in the last two days I had some browning and yellowing of the bottom branches on a few of my tomatoes. I have peppers in the same bed that are doing well and show no signs of this affliction. I have removed the problem branches and removed the few early flowers on each before transplanting them outside. I'm worried about early blight but am not sure as i have brought in new soil and hoped that wouldn't be a problem I encountered. I'm hoping for any insight anyone can provide as to what is going wrong and if i can do anything to reverse it or if i should start over with new plants.
garden 2018 01.jpg
garden 2018 02.jpg
garden 2018 03.jpg
garden 2018 04.jpg
garden 2018 05.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
From looking at the way all your peppers lean in the same direction, my guess would be wind damage, possibly exacerbated by temp swings.
What have weather conditions been like in your area, min/max temps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :) Agreed that it looks like it could be wind damage, you could try putting in something to disturb the airflow (NB blocking the airflow will just create more turbulence)

solid barrier.png

permeable barrier.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We have been in a cool period around 10 C or 50 F at night and I am in an area with a strong winds, may 24th weekend is supposed to be our outside planting date and it was very hot then when they were planted but now it has taken a dive. I didn't think the wind would be a problem after i hardened them off. Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Aarikve, we have strong winds here in Texas, and I've found that putting a hardware cloth (1/2" cloth) cage around tomatoes for the first week or two keeps the wind from flattening them. We cut a 2' section of the hardware cloth, make a circle of it and secure the cut ends with cable ties, and place it over the tomato plant. This seems to break up the force of the wind, but still allows air flow. When we need to remove the cage, we simply cut the ties and save the hardware cloth piece for next season.
I almost forgot to mention you need to firmly set the cage about 2" into the soil so it doesn't blow over!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :) Agreed that it looks like it could be wind damage, you could try putting in something to disturb the airflow (NB blocking the airflow will just create more turbulence)

View attachment 38279
View attachment 38278
So that is one of the coolest things I have seen lately! I have squash that will benefit. Thank You!

Ask a Question