alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just trying to catch up. I believe the world is round alp. :) I visit our local Aldi twice weekly and one Aldi staff member is forever trying to convince me the world is flat; the only thing I'm convinced of is that he and his fellow believers definitely need stronger medication and to get a life.

This staff member is at the bottom of the works pecking order and all his colleagues know his thoughts about flat earth; if he remains at the same store another 50 years what are his chances of promotion? Before I retired had this guy been in front of me looking for a job I think the politest answer would have been "NEXT".

Kind regards, Colin.

That makes me chuckle. It takes all sorts. Our life is enriched because of diversity, for both good and bad reasons!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hope you recycle your "rubbish" as it could be someone else's useful addition!
Ahh ---recycle. A huge topic for us. when I said "STUFF" Let me explain. We have 3 auctions in our area, one takes lower end items, one takes other types of items, and the third takes high end antiques. We take to all of them, and get money for items. One year we really focused and got enough to put a new roof on our house. So yes, we recycle. If its truly, junk, it goes into the recycle bin. Over the years, with deaths in his family, things have been taken to different auction houses and we have made out quite well. We have also collected items over the years to in turn take to an auction. Fun to hunt for the unique. But, we still have too much stuff, so another clean out is in order.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
LOL! If you exercise and eat healthily, you will age well. Cor! We talk like some one foot in the grave, geriatrics!
You know what I think is one of the most important things about eating healthy is? It's not eating much at all, i.e. calorie restriction.

I learned it on my thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. Long story short, while hiking the trail you are forced to basically run on caloric "fumes" day-after-day, until you get to the next town and resupply and eat all you can in restaurant(s); this is all because you can only carry so much, thus you must ration your food, but at the same time you're walking over mountains all day with a weight on your back -- fun stuff
1luvu.gif
thumb.gif

In the beginning you're irritable and are usually in a state of very low energy; however, after a while your body becomes super efficient. I was totally surprised at how much I could do on so little food.

After my hike, I started looking into this issue and, again, long story short, I am now convinced more than ever that we Westerners eat way too much food. Everyone hears that about eating way too much food, but it's one thing to hear about it and another to know from experience. I now am very conscious of not eating too much and at times I do very long rides and such on an empty stomach.

However, with that said, I see weightlifting and other exercises very important for us ageing folks, simply because if we don't we will lose muscle mass, no matter how good our diet is we will lose it, if we don't use it. You can eat all the quality protein in the world, but if you're not exercising your muscles, they will get weaker and weaker, until you have a fall or some other negative effect of an ageing body.

BTW, here's a very good article on Torbjørn Sindballe, a Danish professional triathlete who would train on an empty stomach

https://www.triathlete.com/2014/06/nutrition/inside-triathlon-magazine-fat-burning-machine_31034

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can't really see women going into weight-lifting. Whenever my left knee aches, I take magnesium supplement and exercise a bit. I am soooo lazy. Interesting to read this article. I sometimes feel sorry for athletes as their diets are so calibrated, controlled and manipulated that one begins to wonder what these could do to their long term health. Seen a docu in which Andy Murray soaking in a ice cold bath - and wonder about what long term consequences these will have on him when he gets cold.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have neighbours who work out at the gym most days; one neighbour goes out running every morning in all weather; each time I see her I think she's not enjoying herself; I've explained to her that even a Rolls Royce engine gets scrapped if worked too much.

The quickest way to lose weight is to stop eating; during the last two world wars POWs in Japanese camps were never seen to be obese?

I never bother about what I eat unless its dairy which makes me ill; I can even snack on biscuits and dark chocolate between meals; I'm still the same weight as I was aged 15 at school and I'm now still able bodied at 71; I'll let everyone wear themselves out whilst I enjoy being active pottering around; strange that our Majesty HRH and her late mother have lived to very old age but then perhaps others are doing the exercise for them? It's unlikely the queen has done much jogging around London.

Obesity in others I don't mind as long as its not made compulsory.

Everything in moderation. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question