Your wishes for the New Year

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So now you can send in a photo for Photo of the month competition?

Stayed in India or abroad? Hope you have had a fab time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If people don't nuke each other, I am looking forward to expand my garden a little bit, and make sure none of my plants die, wish the same for others.

Btw, we have different local calendar, New year comes months later. Still, We celebrate 1st Jan, as beginning New year.
I'm curious what that calendar is based on? Does the calendar note things like the Spring/Fall equinox and Summer/Winter solstice? https://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons

EDIT: After giving it a little thought, I guess New Year's Day (specifically the day if falls on) is somewhat up to human decision, because it's not really dependent on celestial cycles. However, still curious of the name of the calendar your country uses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Sorry, alp I don't take picture much. You will be surprised if I tell you that most of my picture are take with the help of my neighbor kid, he sometimes come over and spend time with us.

roadrunner, just google it, you can add the calendar from Google calender, "Holidays in India" . From it you can get as close idea of festival and events, but actual occasions occurs according to lunar days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry, alp I don't take picture much. You will be surprised if I tell you that most of my picture are take with the help of my neighbor kid, he sometimes come over and spend time with us.

roadrunner, just google it, you can add the calendar from Google calender, "Holidays in India" . From it you can get as close idea of festival and events, but actual occasions occurs according to lunar days.
I already did yesterday. After posting, I got thinking and had to comeback to the computer and started looking into the history of calendars and it's kind of interesting.

Did you all know that the switch over from the Julian to Gregorian calendar caused a lot of strife in the Christian world, some thinking that this was the coming of the anti-Christ, or at least a ploy by the Vatican to silence the Protestant movement. And I eventually got around to reading other systems of time measurement.

Sometimes reading posts can put a "bug" in one's ear:D

And apparently the Persian calendar is the most accurate; I always heard it was the Mayan calendar, but it comes in third, behind the Revised Julian and Persian calendars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I just wish to be a better person and better appreciate all the greatness of nature. It seems like almost each day I'm more taken with just how great natural things are. All the bee's now in the flowering Rosemary. How my dog suns herself, moving from a sunny spot to sunny spot. The variety and uniqueness of all the birds that come into the yard. The diagonal rock jutting out of the hill due to the forces of plate tectonics. And of course the little seed that will blossom into beautiful flowers. It's all spectacular and deserves more appreciation and respect.

A few years ago I did make a new years resolution to be a better bread maker and I worked hard at it and by the end of the year I was. I make a very nice Rosemary and Kalamata Olive bread :)

Upon a review of my post, I wish for spelling lessons.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well done, @Greenh!

I will make this wish -

BE TIDY!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oppressive weather state to resend its title,
rain when I need rain,
a nice breeze on a hot day,
when it rains, it dose not flood,

Oh and it would be nice if Sam would learn to clean his paws before coming inside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could teach Sam to wipe clean its paws and reward it with its favorite food and soon it will get the gist, I hope. I saw otters begging for food like some human in the zoo trip! :D;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Oh and it would be nice if Sam would learn to clean his paws before coming inside.
My GSD Thompson, loved to roam in the creek. he learned that just as he came inside on the tile floor he had to stop and lift his paws for the towel down, front and back and belly . So cute as he would help with lifting his leg.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
What are your wishes for the New Year 2018?

What are your wishes for your garden, your family and yourself? To finally want to embrace our retirement. To make my garden perfect. To get rid of "stuff" in my house we will never need.

What are your wishes for various problems in your country, in the world?
No Declawing of cats. Stop breeding dogs until all in shelters are in good homes. neuter and spay free for dogs and cats. Strict application of pet selections by human. Applications to become a parent. Mandate birth control measures/education. Increase the value of the female. Give mandatory shots to all child molesters. Stop all drug traffic. Stop sport hunting. Stop all animal poachers. Recycle all plastic and glass. Buy more antiques. Stop making margarine. Build the wall. Reach out to other countries to help them boast their economic /social life style there by its people will want to say home.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My perennial resolution...I'm resolved to age well

LOL! If you exercise and eat healthily, you will age well. Cor! We talk like some one foot in the grave, geriatrics!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Hope you recycle your "rubbish" as it could be someone else's useful addition!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You couldn't be more blunt! Haha! But we take all in... Fanatic, extremist, didactic, superstitious .. I am not worried about upsetting the cart. When people first said the earth was round, a lot of people condemned it and the rest is history. To be able to challenge is a prerequisite for progress ..

I love a bio-diverse garden too..

Just trying to catch up. I believe the world is round alp. :) I visit our local Aldi twice weekly and one Aldi staff member is forever trying to convince me the world is flat; the only thing I'm convinced of is that he and his fellow believers definitely need stronger medication and to get a life.

This staff member is at the bottom of the works pecking order and all his colleagues know his thoughts about flat earth; if he remains at the same store another 50 years what are his chances of promotion? Before I retired had this guy been in front of me looking for a job I think the politest answer would have been "NEXT".

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question