Your wishes for the New Year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha boss! Do I get a pay rise now then? (y)

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are your wishes for various problems in your country, in the world?

I wish that people would miraculously begin to understand the value of habitat restoration and take action. I wish that every person who owned land, big or small, would only plant native species, with the exception of fruits and vegetables.

There are two sayings. One is "Don't judge a book by its cover" and the other is "Beauty is only skin-deep". Both sayings are true for plants. An attractive plant with little or no value to wildlife is the equivalent of an attractive person who is evil. There is no reason to keep that attractive plant in your garden if it is no good to wildlife. Native species are the best plants to have.

Habitat loss and environmental degradation is likely the worst problem in our world. People tend not to care about it because it doesn't have an immediate impact on their well-being, but if we don't make changes, I worry that it'll lead to an irreversible disaster that will likely be even more devastating than war and world hunger. We won't be alive when it reaches its worst, but people and animals will be, and they'll have no escape from our mistakes or our intentional neglect.

Small changes can slow negative effects down. When many people make small changes, it becomes a big change. My 800 square foot habitat may small in comparison to the habitat that once existed, but I made the decision that my yard could be more important than it is and it was time to make the change. It may not be much of an addition to the remaining 3% of prairie habitat in the United States, but it does help every insect and animal that comes to my yard and uses it. If everyone on my street added a native garden of a similar size, there would suddenly be dozens of acres of restored habitat just on my street alone. Imagine if that spread across my city, across my state, across the country, and across the world. The quality of the planet would increase.

The same thing is true for every small change you make. The more people that make that change, the bigger an impact it'll have, but even if you are the only person making that change, you've still made a difference.

I look at the living things that find food and shelter in my garden, and I'm proud of the habitat I've made. Even if I were the only person doing this, I wouldn't stop. These creatures need our help. It's only fair, considering we're the specie that caused the problem.

IMG_3421 copy.jpg

IMG_4409 copy.jpg

IMG_5558 copy.jpg

IMG_4874 copy.jpg

IMG_0942 copy1.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Such a lovely statement from a gardener. I remember someone mowing his lawn into quarters with the cross in the middle as paths, but the quarters were left to native wildlife planting... I will definitely copy the idea in my next garden. Or just a patch dedicated to wildlife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Look at the latest image

4737A56000000578-5167317-image-a-76_1513002259229.jpg

What kind of mindset triggers this person to take such a desperate measure? He's only maiming the INNOCENTS! In the US, you are probably still being taught Thou shall not kill. I don't want religion to get in the way, but at least basic rights and wrongs should be taught.

Now even 10 year olds will be asked if they are comfortable in their own s ex! When I was 10, I was a total dumba**! Even now, I am half an a**!

...a mindset who's extreme religion teaches we are evil; a mindset that thinks we are bad; a mindset that believes it is destined to conquer and rule the West. He is a Muslim extremist and people like him are threatening our way of life. But, we don't want to see that here in the West. He is here because of chain immigration. He, and his family, should be deported back through "chain deportation", and their houses in the US burned to the ground. That would send a message. The West better wake up soon while we still have an identity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
...a mindset who's extreme religion teaches we are evil; a mindset that thinks we are bad; a mindset that believes it is destined to conquer and rule the West. He is a Muslim extremist and people like him are threatening our way of life. But, we don't want to see that here in the West. He is here because of chain immigration. He, and his family, should be deported back through "chain deportation", and their houses in the US burned to the ground. That would send a message. The West better wake up soon while we still have an identity.
just underlines again for the need for strict immigration policy. bring it on. its a shame the rotten apple spoils the barrel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to party in the New Year Then see what it brings(y)..............Hey Probably a Headache :confused:but I'll get over it then head out in the garden for some fresh air and start clearing the leaves:) Off the lawn and into the compost pile. Lol If I had a wish it would be for someone to beat me to it and rack them up Before I get to them...... That would be cool .....Ps I have a rake they can borrow , If they need one:D....................Just throw the rotten apples in with the Leaves & I'll fork it over later;)

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind ANY religions if their followers are not so claustrophobic, intolerant, so stubborn to integrate and so ready to kill or be killed in the name of furthering their cause or revenge. .. People should never kill innocents bystanders in the thought of becoming martyrs or entering their heavens.. A lot of wars have been fought in the name of religions, race ...

I'd like to end this thread here as I don't want to create malaise - You're welcome to send me a conversation.

***********Thread closed ***************

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To hell with the world; I just want a more bio-diverse garden this year, that's all. :)

You couldn't be more blunt! Haha! But we take all in... Fanatic, extremist, didactic, superstitious .. I am not worried about upsetting the cart. When people first said the earth was round, a lot of people condemned it and the rest is history. To be able to challenge is a prerequisite for progress ..

I love a bio-diverse garden too..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's the @MoonShadows that I like .. Haha! :D;)

The world is full of malaise .. Shame ..

My wish is that we sustain very few casualties because of the winter weather. Wishing, just wishing..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
If people don't nuke each other, I am looking forward to expand my garden a little bit, and make sure none of my plants die, wish the same for others.

Btw, we have different local calendar, New year comes months later. Still, We celebrate 1st Jan, as beginning New year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you been on holiday, Raj? I nearly miss you! Hehehe!

Ask a Question