Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Relaxing although I didn't really do anything. Spent most of the day just observing what's going on in my yard and also just hanging out on this forum. Waiting for the air to clear a bit from the forest fires. Cooking some venison for supper and an early night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing today, too hot I've been switching between tennis, cricket and golf on TV. I did go and get my ears syringed this afternoon, so my hearing is back to normal.

I have noticed that rhodo blooms didn't last as long this year.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got some work done. Renewed my outdoors card and got a 3 year fishing and 3 year small game licence along with entering the anterless deer draw. Almost $300 I called it quits on licences after that lol.. usually I get turkey and moose. I could have gotten a lot of beef and fish for that and butchered everything myself for a lot less time and effort. It use to be hunting and fishing saved money but now it's rediculous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I went on the British Gas website today to post my gas and leccy readings as usual, each month.

The site tells you what were the readings you sent in the previous month. So you can compare them with the latest ones.

The gas reading for last month, was higher than the one I was trying to post.

It accepted the leccy ones, but didn't like the gas one. So I couldn't post it.

So I got, "Please contact us" (monday to friday)

I couldn't believe I could have miss-read the reading last month.

I checked the usual thank-you e-mail they send me each month after I send in the readings, for last month.

This is my e-mail I've just sent them, I got the address off the last time I managed to complain about something and got an e-mailed apology.

Hi this is a “cut and paste” from your e-mail to me after I sent in my readings last month.

Thank you for your latest day reading of 92413 and night reading of 93325 for your electricity account and 2476 for your gas account.
I’ve just sent the current electricity readings in, but it wouldn’t accept my gas reading which was 2479, as the previous reading incorrectly quoted by you today, was 2485.

It says contact you.

I won’t, other than this e-mail, 2479 is the correct reading.

We only have gas for heating and hot water used in a sink and a basin, we’ve no bath, just an electric shower. So use little gas in the summer.

What's happen, is that your computer although accepting last month's reading, has then ignored it and guesstimated a higher one, like it will if you don't send in readings.

Can I also just say, why do you keep messing with your website?
So much unimportant "add -on" nonsense for most people to wade through, when what you just want to do, is send in a reading.

Like most companies now, you don’t want people to phone you or send an e-mail. I had to dig this e-mail address out from my British Gas file, from the last time you apologised for something you got wrong.
Get it sorted, stop letting your computer IT numpties run the business and annoy customers.

Idiots!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will you get a human, or computer generated, reply I wonder? I would love to see what a computer made of it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Will you get a human, or computer generated, reply I wonder? I would love to see what a computer made of it.
The difference is the computer generated reply will give you a quick reply, the human one will give the scripted reply at the speed of frozen molasses with the same answer lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The difference is the computer generated reply will give you a quick reply, the human one will give the scripted reply at the speed of frozen molasses with the same answer lol!

I don't expect to get a human reply, especially a phone call, as that nice Indian couple, the English of either of them, is hard to understand and there's often kids talking and occasionally a dog barking in the background, so obviously work from home, presumably somewhere in the foothills of the Himalayas as the connection is so bad and are employed by all major companies who have, "contact us" phone numbers, "I am reliably informed" are on holiday this week.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't expect to get a human reply, especially a phone call, as that nice Indian couple, the English of either of them, is hard to understand and there's often kids talking and occasionally a dog barking in the background, so obviously work from home, presumably somewhere in the foothills of the Himalayas as the connection is so bad and are employed by all major companies who have, "contact us" phone numbers, "I am reliably informed" are on holiday this week.
You forgot about the ten thousand verification questions when it's a person. A AI robot will just ask your d.o.b usually lol. Not a person lol.. mother's maiden name... Last bill amount.. address.. previous address... Phone number.. previous phone number.. occupation.. lmao. I would rather just say screw it and pay the extra money lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think they purposely hire people with accents so thick that you won’t be able to understand them and give up lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our eldest son, an engineer, before he became a consultant, used to work for a major American bank, as a vice president, (posh title, but he said they had loads of 'em in all sort of departments), his was Corporate Realty.
One of his jobs back in the nineties, was arranging to establish new call centres in Europe and India.
India was favourite, as not only could they pay far less to employees there than in England, but you could have four operators in the same square footage floor space, where legally, you could only have one in England. It will probably still be the same.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Spent most of today with my dad. Made him a father's day cake. Took him around the garden and yard for a walk to soak in the nature. My son wasn't able to come but we did a chat online. Kind of feeling down not being with him today but being on here helps and takes my mind of it. He is 13.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I record and watch a lot of the Wimbledon Tennis.

I think the ball boys/girls do an excellent job.

"Back in the day" I seem to remember, I think they were trained by an ex-army RSM.
Their movements seem very military, to my mind to an exaggerated degree. They act like automatons on speed, there is no need for all the exaggerated movements.

In the end this was funny, but could have been serious.

In the Tsitsipas/Thiem game last night, Tsitsipas who was serving and was racing across court for a returned ball, slid in the corner and ended up unmoving on the ground. The TV camera zoomed in so viewers could whether he was injured or not. Fortunately he wasn't.

The ball boy, as probably instructed, remained, motionless, as Tsitsipas came sliding towards him.

P1000893.JPG

Then, he stood, arms stretched out, palms open, to indicate he had no tennis balls,

But I think at that moment, serving, was the last thing on Tsitspas's mind.

P1000892.JPG

I'm presently watching Xinyu Wang v Sofia Henin, playing on court 4, live, on BBC i>player.

I can hear the noise of the spectators, the voice of the umpire and the score is on a strap line at the top of the screen.
For me, it's as good as being there, no, it's better, as I get shown different camera angles.

What's missing? Nothing at all.

There's no intrusive commentary by a couple of "over-enthusiastic wannabes a career in broadcasting," trying to get themselves noticed.
So I avoid being bombarded with "useful facts" about the competitors which will be available on the internet should I feel it necessary.

Sheer bliss.
If only this was an option with all sports coverage.

Last edited:

Ask a Question