Your 2013 garden plans

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It feels like spring is tantalisingly close, I was just wondering what everyone had planned in their gardens this year?

We only moved into our house in the middle of last year so I'm really looking forward to seeing what surprises we have in store in our garden. There are lots of bulb shoots poking their noses out of the soil but I don't know what they will be yet... time will tell, and as my mother always told me patience is a virtue ;)

We don't have any big plans for the garden this year, mostly because I'm currently laid up with a slipped disc in my back. However I really want to sort out the grass underneath the tree in our lawn - it just doesn't want to grow right, presumably from the shade and the shelter (there is not massive amount of air circulation) so I'm thinking of introducing some shrubs that like the conditions better.

What are your plans?

Reaction score
I am probably going to add to my pond by adding an additional creek that is fed from my bog and possibly redoing the other creek; it is just a creek right now might make part of it back into a pond that it was 9 years ago. I have to find a tree for the back corner of my house, I pulled out the rose of sharons last fall and am thinking about a blue spruce. There is a strip of grass in my backyard that I am going to be getting rid of and planting perennials and wild flowers as well as adding a rock pathway through it. For the front yard I was originally going to be putting in a small water feature in front of the porch but now with everything I plan on doing in the back this may have to wait until another year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I want to finish the pond i started , cut down two trees , and get the yard mulched all by the end of the month , a few flats of annuals and I'm done .

Reaction score
My garden grows all year through .. and I have no space left.. I wish I could do more this spring.. I am planning a little fairy garden ..hopefully I will be able to get mine done.. if my back pain doesn't persist :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you are suffering from a bad back too maddie!

Another thing I thought of that I must do this year is to get our roses growing better. They need feeding and a good prune, and we'll see how they fare after that!

Reaction score
I'm apartment hunting and the building that I like has private balconies, so I'd like to do a balcony container herb garden. I might do one of those little vertical herb gardens they show on Pinterest so I can have room to put my 2 patio chairs and a little side table just big enough to rest 2 drinks on.

One of our forum members, taskeinc has some amazing indoor plants and I'm inspired to take up indoor gardening when I get settled somewhere.
I love taskeinc's photos of houseplants and the plants do make the house look more alive and visually exciting.

Reaction score
I am going to plant my usual container garden this summer

-Peppers
-Tomatoes
-Cucumbers
-Carrots
-Cabbage
-Lettuce
-Watermelon
-Peas
-Spearmint
-Chamomile

I can't wait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
First of all, before I think about the garden and other plants, I'll move my lovely miniature roses from the attic back to my room. I miss them so much! I'll wash them and prune them and I hope they'll grow beautifully. I wish spring was already here...I plan to get more miniature roses:D

Reaction score
My garden is really going to be up and running this year! I do still need to paint the fence, which is all a bit rickety, but the last really big thing was done just yesterday: a neighbour came round with his petrol driven chainsaw, and cut down the 35' high tree thats four feet from my house! I'm so pleased to get rid of it, I can't tell you, it was endangering the foundations. So along with the fence painting, I need to use the stump killer I bought already, and buy something lovely for the neighbour to say thank you. Then its on to the planting.

I was at a local historic venue yesterday, that has a little garden shop attached, and I bought 3 bulbs of spring-planting garlic, plus a couple of packets of seeds, from the James Wong byline - he was trained by the Royal Horticultural Society, the lady in the shop told me, so he certainly knows his stuff. I bought Purslane seeds: "succulent creeper with leaves that taste of mangetout and bramley apples" and is also described as foolproof to grow, and Wintergreen, "scarlet root beer-flavoured berries on creeping evergreen plants".

Reaction score
I plan to be busy in my garden this coming spring, there are too many projects that have been neglected these past couple of years. I want to get my pergola in place to train my wisteria and roses on and plant a grape vine to climb on it too. Get my front yard back in order and establish a new kitchen /herb garden. Mind you all this will have to wait till around September for me, that is when we spring will be here down under :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately my slipped disc that I mentioned above turned into severe sciatica and I had to have an operation last week to relieve the pressure of the nerve! Sorry I've not been around much folks! I had the staples removed yesterday so I can lie down on my back with my laptop now. I'm really not going to be able to do much myself in the garden this year, but I'm busy looking through books and making plans and hubbie Ian can do the leg work :)

We need to get our front garden sorted out as it's a bit of a mess at the moment - I'll try and take some pictures this weekend so I can start a project thread.

Reaction score
Becky, you poor thing! Hope you're not feeling too bad. I had a two minor day-operations last year on my back and my shoulder, and I did hardly anything new in the garden, all I did was keep it under control - stretching to use two hands was out of the question for ages :( While you're recuperating, its lovely to be able to daydream tho :)

Get well soon - I look forward to that project thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Doing a lot better now and completely off painkillers. Still not allowed to sit for long, but I'm seeing a physio which is helping.

I need to get that project thread started! I've already started to sketch out ideas but I don't have much so far... will get my thinking cap on :)

Reaction score
Minimalist gardens. I recently went to Japan and fell in love with their rock gardens. They are so effective and once you get it right they need minimal attention and look great !

Ask a Question