Young serviceberry tree - prepare for winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We planted a serviceberry tree about 6 weeks ago. Its trick
Trunk only about one inch in diameter and it's about eight feet tall. As winter approaches, is there anything that should be done to protect it? It seems weak and I'm afraid the winter wind will cause it to bend excessively. We have a maple tree that we nearly lost due to sap freezing that caused the bark to split.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think that's another name for a Saskabush.. Saskatoon berry? It gets pretty cold and windy in them prairies so I wouldn't worry too much but you could wrap it with burlap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted a serviceberry tree about 6 weeks ago. Its trick
Trunk only about one inch in diameter and it's about eight feet tall. As winter approaches, is there anything that should be done to protect it? It seems weak and I'm afraid the winter wind will cause it to bend excessively. We have a maple tree that we nearly lost due to sap freezing that caused the bark to split.
It's important for you to stake your tree during hard winds. If you have to use 3 stakes and tie the tree, it's better than taking a chance. However, when Spring comes make sure you release it so it can grow stronger.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We call this tree Amelanchier here in the UK. The tree is very beautiful, and there are a few varieties. If yours is labelled ''Canadensis'' in particular you will find that it is very hardy, and will come through quite severe cold weather very well. It requires good loamy soil, and some well rotted manure to help it along - although springtime is the best time for fertiliser. The tree is shallow rooted, so oneeye's advice is really important.
Welcome to the forums :)

Ask a Question