How to shape this young plum tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

is there anyone who could help me to make it tree look beautiful and be fruitful in the coming years? I planted it from the broken branch from the old plum tree and decided to grow it, it's been 1 year since I planted it in the pot(see the small img), and in the near future, I am planning to put it straight to the soil. Am I right that
plum-tree.jpg
there are two trees growing?

Thanks for a reply

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I was taught by an agronomist at Texas A&M to use an open center approach to pruning fruit trees. It has served me well for decades of fruit growing. The open center pruning concept is also sometimes called vase-type pruning. It increases air flow and sunlight to the center of the plant and at the same time provides spacing and sun exposure to the primary and secondary scaffold branches which are critical to fruit production.

My plums shown below are an example of that approach. Several gallons of plums already picked and much more on the tree. There are many specific detailed descriptions of this approach online as a lot of people have seen the wisdom of it. By the way, good going on having two trees...that is needed for pollination.

open center.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reply, I have heard about that technique and would like to apply it, but as I have never shaped the tree and I am confused how to do it so it grows in that direction. Any chance for someone to show where to make cuts according to the image I provided? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are different names for a style of garden. Now truly this is for the mansions and formally cultivated lands but the point is some silly hatted women thought it relevant to discuss the matter over tea and it turns out that over some hundred of years there are actually plans or thoughts or theses relative to the general bent the gardens take. I won't hazard my sorry knowledge of the subject telling you what to do, rather its my intent to expose you to the idea that you have a style, or are certainly asking about one.

I saw one garden on tv where they have espalier plums. Those are on wires held to manipulated shapes in extensive sized arbors. But that is done with respect to the landscaping, home etc. I would keep that style in mind because yes they do make plums but is it a veggie garden you are after or something more ornamental?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What I would do is pick a central leader, stake it as straight as possible, remove all branches lower than 18” from the ground and top it at 3’. Next winter remove all branches from the main trunk except the uppermost, the lowest and one or two in between. The branches you save should point in different directions so that none of them are directly above any others. This will make it easier to pick the fruit without using a ladder or extension fruit-picker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for reply, I have heard about that technique and would like to apply it, but as I have never shaped the tree and I am confused how to do it so it grows in that direction. Any chance for someone to show where to make cuts according to the image I provided? Thanks
Everyone will prune a tree differently. I also prefer open center due to the diseases in my humid climate.

For a plum do not prune small stems from the main structure as these are fruiting buds. If they are short keep them. If they are vigorous cut them down or cut them off completely. Prune just above an outer facing bud. New growth I cut back down heavy in the summer to control height.

Spray your plum tree after pruning as gummosis from the fresh cuts can increase.

Try and research and understand fruit buds vs vegetative growth. Early on that was my first mistake. Why wont my plum bloom? Cutting off the smaller stems on the structure didnt help me. Lol

Best way to learn is to go out and do it. Live and learn and have fun!

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My first question would be what do you want? A tree or bush?

Right now the structure looks like it wants to be a bush. It has low hanging branches. Several main trunks that are not straight up.

If you want a tree I would start by removing the 2 lowest branches. The one coming out the side of the dirt and the next one up. I would get a stake and tie it to the main trunck to get it to grow straight up. However, since it is in a pot you can repot with the main trunk straight up instead of slanted.

I have a peach I pruned as 1 year old bare root. I took several pictures over the last 3 years. Let me get them together so you get the idea. It is open center with the trunk about 2 feet high. This was when I realized buying one year old trees are better to shape to your needs.

Ask a Question