Young Avocado Tree (and older olive trees) Eaten by White Shell

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We don’t have much labels around here.

Is there anything i can do to flush out the nitrate ?

I mixed 1 cup of oil and two tbsp of soap with 2L of water.
Yes, you can flush it out. Just run a slow stream of water over the soil for an hour or two and let everything run out of the hole in the bottom of the pot. You may want to repot with new soil. If so, just take the plant out of the pot and gently wash away all of the soil. Repot with new soil. You used way way too much oil in your spray. It should be around 3 tbs per gallon of water for grown trees. Don't spray anymore oil. Your leaves will probably all burn but should regrow. Just give it time. Stay away from everything that isn't labeled organic. Use manure based fertilizers instead of the chemical fertilizers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
I’m going to reconsider repoting but I’m not sure where I’ll find the soil and such. It’s getting to be a struggle here. I don’t have a hose. I live on the third floor of a building so idk how I’d run a stream from my kitchen to the plant. Might bring the plant in the kitchen and clean it there.

Will throw away the nitrate.

Will also stop the oil.

I just got an organic natural fertilizer. Will dilute it and use it. Hopefully that’ll be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m going to reconsider repoting but I’m not sure where I’ll find the soil and such. It’s getting to be a struggle here. I don’t have a hose. I live on the third floor of a building so idk how I’d run a stream from my kitchen to the plant. Might bring the plant in the kitchen and clean it there.

Will throw away the nitrate.

Will also stop the oil.

I just got an organic natural fertilizer. Will dilute it and use it. Hopefully that’ll be fine.
Just go by the directions on the package as to the amount to use. Just put it in the kitchen sink and run water through it. Cairo doesn't have hardware stores or nurseries or places to buy gardening supplies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Hey Chuck,

Well I'm still trying to understand the package :D Asking a few friends for translation as the bottle is in Arabic.
I'll do that with the avocado. We have a drain in the ground so I might leave it on the floor because the plant is almost my height :D Quite a big boy to put in the sink.

we don't have nurseries in the sense that you see it. They're usually farm people who moved to the city, they take a corner usually at an intersection and set up their plants there. I might do a video about it for you to see ( and others too!)

The avocado is looking better since I stopped oiling it. The leaves aren't drooping anymore too. The amount of gardening supplies is limited if you don't hire someone specifically to come and do things for you especially since I don't have a garden, I'm just chilling on my balcony.

Hope this helps as information :3

Thank you for your help and support <3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Hey.

So I just check on avotaco. At the smallest tug so many leaves just detach themselves. Is that due to the nitrate I added ?

I’m so worried. I feel like I am attempt to save my plants I killed all of them my olive tree had two small leaves and they have both wilted.

Im on the verge of tears thinking I might have killed all my plants

Please you, or anyone else help me. I’m a desperate case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Update: I have repoted my avocado and I have thoroughly rinsed the roots.

Pros: the leaves are done falling off.

Cons: the leaves are droopy and squishy.

What is going on

Ask a Question