Young Avocado Tree (and older olive trees) Eaten by White Shell

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck you're a life saver.

While I was waiting for your answer and I checked online and I also saw that it could be the chlorine or hardiness of the water which caused this. Im letting it dry out over the next few days as we have a weather up to 33 degrees celcius these days
Hard water won't cause this but chlorine can. Also in the picture I see mottling of some leaves and one yellowing leaf with green veins. This is caused by a lack of iron. I don't know if you can get these products in Egypt or not but what you need for all of your trees is either liquid seaweed or Greensand as these two products are full of trace minerals, minerals that aren't available in chemical fertilizers. You would be much better off by fertilizing with composted manures and compost teas than by any chemical/oil based fertilizers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Hard water won't cause this but chlorine can. Also in the picture I see mottling of some leaves and one yellowing leaf with green veins. This is caused by a lack of iron. I don't know if you can get these products in Egypt or not but what you need for all of your trees is either liquid seaweed or Greensand as these two products are full of trace minerals, minerals that aren't available in chemical fertilizers. You would be much better off by fertilizing with composted manures and compost teas than by any chemical/oil based fertilizers.

Hi,

I will keep the composting advice in mind as to be honest I have no idea how to compost. I will add the liquid seaweed as you recommended and I am waiting for another fertilizer which is sadly chemical to arrive. It'll have to do until I can figure out how to compost.
I wonder how did my tree stay alive so long when I've been so out of clue. thankfully you're here to the rescue!

Thank you so much for your help and support <3

Edit: here is what is said about the fertilizer I got:
  • G6 Seaweed & Algae Plus additional shrimp and crab shell extract , 100% organic fertilizer .
  • 100% safe for soil , plants , human & eco-friendly .
  • It can be used for all types of plants , vegetables , fruit trees .
  • It is very effective in the flowering and fruit set stage of plants.
  • Increases the overall yield of plants .
  • Complete fertilizer which is rich in macronutrients , micronutrients , natural plant hormones .
  • Contains gibberellic acid which naturally stimulates plants growth and development .
  • Contains cytokinins which promotes cell division .
  • Contains abscisic acid which helps the plant in stressful conditions .
  • Contains indole butyric acid which enhances root formation.
  • Contains chitosan which increases green growth , root growth , enhances plant growth , boosts the defensive ability of plants against infections and pathogens .
  • High content of Phosphorus and Potassium .
  • It is a replacement for chemical fertilizers for flowering and fruit set stage .
  • It is a replacement for chemical fertilizers that regulates growth .
  • Start using it 30 days after germination , before 30 days use G1 Seaweed & Algae Organic Fertilizer.
  • Recommended to protect plants with G4 Organic Insecticide & Fungicide .
  • Can be used as foliar spray or irrigation through soil .
  • General application rate is 5ml per 1 Liter of water for foliar spray or soil irrigation once per week .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

I will keep the composting advice in mind as to be honest I have no idea how to compost. I will add the liquid seaweed as you recommended and I am waiting for another fertilizer which is sadly chemical to arrive. It'll have to do until I can figure out how to compost.
I wonder how did my tree stay alive so long when I've been so out of clue. thankfully you're here to the rescue!

Thank you so much for your help and support <3
Unless you really mess up bad trees are very resilient and it takes a lot to actually kill them. Making a tree productive is the difficult part. Composting is easy. There is a lot of good info in the Organic section of this forum. Learn about making compost tea as it really works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Unless you really mess up bad trees are very resilient and it takes a lot to actually kill them. Making a tree productive is the difficult part. Composting is easy. There is a lot of good info in the Organic section of this forum. Learn about making compost tea as it really works.

Will look into tea compost. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Quick update:

I have been spraying my plants with the dormant water but I’m still noticing some leaf curling and they turn crispy dry. Could sun exposures be the problem ?

I have also bought some nitrate and mixed it in water to put it on the plant. Should I also spray it ?

When should I see my leaves looking better ?

Finally I have been using the dormant water and scrubbing any scale I still find. Hopefully I’ll be done with them soon. I haven’t seen any new ones appear. My olive trees (or what’s left of them) seem a bit perkier.
Thank you ❤️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Another update.
I have been using the dormant mix and my leaves have been browning on the tips. I haven’t watered the plants since my last post so idk if it can be overwatering or not.
I’m attaching pictures to show how they’ve browned. They brown and crispy. Like super dry.

I have also added nitrate to the ground and I should be receiving my other fertilizer today.

Also my olive tree leaves are all slowly falling .

Please help me save my plant
10CB1164-F9C4-49B6-9213-B566AC2ADDDE.jpeg
9651F0D7-6F59-4F0F-936A-703E20D2AC41.jpeg
1ADAA218-8788-4366-8712-C58FDD088725.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Quick update:

I have been spraying my plants with the dormant water but I’m still noticing some leaf curling and they turn crispy dry. Could sun exposures be the problem ?

I have also bought some nitrate and mixed it in water to put it on the plant. Should I also spray it ?

When should I see my leaves looking better ?

Finally I have been using the dormant water and scrubbing any scale I still find. Hopefully I’ll be done with them soon. I haven’t seen any new ones appear. My olive trees (or what’s left of them) seem a bit perkier.
Thank you ❤
Oil and sun could make the leaves dry and crispy
What nitrate?
Probably at least 2 weeks
You don't need to scrub the scale. If it is dead it will fall off in time. Only use the dormant oil once. You can use Neem once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The oil is scorching your leaves. I see no evidence of the scale insects. It appears as if your oil/water mixture was too strong but after the leaves scorch, brown and fall off there will be new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
The nitrate is a mix of oxygen and nitrogen which you told me to add to the ground. I’m receiving my iron today.

I’ll stop using the dormant oil on all my plants. I still can’t find neem oil.

I’ll be adding my other fertilizer today other than the nitrate. It should contain iron. I’ll tell you as soon as I receive it.

Thank you so much for your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The nitrate is a mix of oxygen and nitrogen which you told me to add to the ground. I’m receiving my iron today.

I’ll stop using the dormant oil on all my plants. I still can’t find neem oil.

I’ll be adding my other fertilizer today other than the nitrate. It should contain iron. I’ll tell you as soon as I receive it.

Thank you so much for your help
Hold on. Just what is this nitrogen? What is the percentage? You add too much and you will kill the plant. Is this nitrate a plant fertilizer? Whatever it is it cannot be a mixture of oxygen as oxygen is a gas. You can't mix it with a solid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
It’s called a nitrate fertilizer. It’s apparently nitrogen in it. They recommended one tbsp per plant and I put a little bit less.

It’s water soluble and is supposed to add nitrogen in the ground as well as help plant absorb oxygen better.

There’s no percentage written. It comes in a transparent plastic bag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s called a nitrate fertilizer. It’s apparently nitrogen in it. They recommended one tbsp per plant and I put a little bit less.

It’s water soluble and is supposed to add nitrogen in the ground as well as help plant absorb oxygen better.

There’s no percentage written. It comes in a transparent plastic bag.
Thats strong, probably 21-0-0. I would use no more than 1 tsp at first just to make sure I didn't use too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
I diluted two tablespoons in 2L of water and spread it over 4 plants. So about 1/2 of tbsp for each.

What would happen if I put too much ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I diluted two tablespoons in 2L of water and spread it over 4 plants. So about 1/2 of tbsp for each.

What would happen if I put too much ?
The leaves will start to wilt and turn brown at the same time until finally all the leaves are brown and they hang onto the plant. By this time the plants roots have been burned beyond repair and the plant is dead. The stuff you got is not for gardening. It is probably used commercially for something horticultural such as growing grasses or hay. Fertilizers are supposed to have their NPK percentages on the package so you don't really know what or how much you put on the trees. Once your trees are back to health throw away that stuff, When you sprayed your trees with the oil did you mix water with oil or just straight with the soap?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
We don’t have much labels around here.

Is there anything i can do to flush out the nitrate ?

I mixed 1 cup of oil and two tbsp of soap with 2L of water.

Ask a Question