Worst gardening tool??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know of a bad gardening tool, but one I like to use is called a Hula Hoe.

It has several different names such as a stirrup hoe, wiggle hoe, or scuffle hoe. It's a very effective weed killer. Plus you can use it to aerate your garden soil.

It has a nice long handle, so you don't need to do any bending to use the tool. The sharp steel blade skims below the soil surface, slicing through weed roots while leaving the soil in place.
I don't see how anyone who has a garden doesn't have one of these. It makes weeding a snap. It is by far the most used tool in my garden.

Reaction score
My wife. She refuses to work no matter what in my vegetable garden. This tool is only reliable in a flower garden:) Please help

This made me laugh! I didn't understand what you meant at first, but then I slowly understood the joke, ha ha. I wonder if your wife doesn't want to work in the vegetable garden because you refer to her as the troublesome tool, ha ha. :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several spades however they do not weigh the same so I always go for the lighter one. I can easily use either of them but why lift more weight than necessary? The same goes for the rake and pitch fork. I have a brand new Craftsman rake that weighs so much I don't even bother taking it out of the shed.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I find blowers are a selfish gardening tool because they blow away the leaves but it goes somewhere else....your neighbours garden or driveway and then that person has to collect the leaves anyway and get rid of them the old fashioned way....rake and a bag!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I dislike blowers also, but... sometimes a blower is all you can use to get rid of the leaves and debris. Yes, you can blow it all into a certain area on your own property and then rake up the pile and bag it.

Blow the leaves onto a tarp or old large sheet, and bag it from there. You can also purchase sound-reducing blowers that are 80 percent quieter than the older blowers.

If you have a 3/4 inch rock yard (like I do), and have a neighbor who has a 50 foot eucalyptus tree, like he did, a leaf blower can help a person keep a nice pristine front yard. The neighbor never cleaned up his lawn. All his leaves that didn't drop into his own yard blew into my yard. It was nearly impossible to keep up with the debris. At times you couldn't see my rock. A light breeze would carry all the leaves from his yard into mine.

I had a pool and it was incredibly difficult to keep the pool clean. Fortunately, neighbor asked me to find someone to cut the messy tree down. I did. Problem solved.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That must have been a big headache with the leaves going into the pool, I know because we have often had to clean leaves out of the pool and worst of all the birds drop their food into it and it sinks to the bottom so that also gave us headaches all on its own. A blower is good in a way for the one using it but not for the others, good on you to have got the tree problem solved.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the minority but I love the blower. I use it to clean off the deck and side walks all summer long not just in the fall. I also use it after I mow the lawn and have strips of unmulched grass. If the strips are left on the lawn they kill it. I could rake them but they sometimes go on for 200 or more feet. Raking can take and hour a blower does it in minutes and just disperses the grass so it can decompose on it's own. In the fall I use it around all the areas that I can't get a rake through and again to disburse the lines of leaves that the mower has cut but doesn't completely mulch. I use it also to move the leaves into larger piles making it easier to just rake them into the Bagster.The last thing I can think of (but I'm sure not the last that I use it for) is for cleaning out the gutters. I simply walk along the edge of the roof with the blower pointed towards the gutters. The wet leaves and water shoot out and I'm done in a matter of a half hour. Doing it by hand takes well over an hour and a half and is very dirty and cold at times. Here is my process for leaves

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
When I was little my brother and I used to play in the leaves and it was so much fun! Our job was to remove the leaves but before we did our chore we would play games and the autumn leaves were always a part of them

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The worst gardening tool I have ever used is a machete in a coffee plantation which I was using to till the ground after slashing of weeds. It was short and stubby and also blunt. It made me miserable to find myself on the tail end of other tillers despite my doubled effort. Matters were not made any better by the fact that it was lightweight. As if to add insult to injury, it was later stolen.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The worst gardening tool I have ever used is a machete in a coffee plantation which I was using to till the ground after slashing of weeds. It was short and stubby and also blunt. It made me miserable to find myself on the tail end of other tillers despite my doubled effort. Matters were not made any better by the fact that it was lightweight. As if to add insult to injury, it was later stolen.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, I actually find using the scissors as something really annoying, boring, it probably is because I am too lazy for it, but it's definitely the most annoying tool for me, I would rather use the power push or any other kind of cutting machine instead of the scissors, for real.

Ask a Question