Worst gardening tool??

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a product design student in Portland, OR. I am currently working on a project to improve the gardening experience for those 60 years and older. Here is my question. Out of all the tools you use for gardening, which one is the worst to use and why? Is one of your tools painful to use or not work as it should? Basically, what is your least favorite gardening tool/product and why? Any feedback you can offer me will be useful.

Thank you for your time!,

Andrew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wife. She refuses to work no matter what in my vegetable garden. This tool is only reliable in a flower garden:) Please help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Any gardening tool with handle that requires muscle power to operate is a miserable tool if used over a period of time. Hence the popularity of slavery. The raking motion is probably the most onerous. A true abomination is the claw. Due to the motion required to operate. There is no way to design a tool that is a joy to use. However conditioning the body can make tasks tolerable. For example, one can get relatively use to shoveling with practice.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I actually hate using a spade in hard ground but the worst tool for the garden are the clippers to cut the hedges with, they get blunt so quickly and they hurt your hands. If there was an easier solution I would definitely use it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My least favorite gardening tool is my parents' mower. It's so heavy! I can hardly move it. Believe me, mowing lawns with it is a nightmare:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Leaf blowers. Just way too obnoxiously loud.
Lawn mowers. Also too loud.
I'm not (quite) over 60, but the one job in decades as a homeowner I have never done myself is lawn mowing. I happily pay someone to do mine (and no leaf blower!) I come home from work, all mowed. Worth every penny. I call him my Lawn Fairy. :)

Reaction score
Any gardening tool with handle that requires muscle power to operate is a miserable tool if used over a period of time. Hence the popularity of slavery. The raking motion is probably the most onerous. A true abomination is the claw. Due to the motion required to operate. There is no way to design a tool that is a joy to use. However conditioning the body can make tasks tolerable. For example, one can get relatively use to shoveling with practice.
Thank you for your input!

Reaction score
Leaf blowers. Just way too obnoxiously loud.
Lawn mowers. Also too loud.
I'm not (quite) over 60, but the one job in decades as a homeowner I have never done myself is lawn mowing. I happily pay someone to do mine (and no leaf blower!) I come home from work, all mowed. Worth every penny. I call him my Lawn Fairy. :)
Thank you Beth_B

Reaction score
I am handicapped, mostly in my feet and ankles, and so I find a hand chopper to be my favorite tool. I can sit on a light stool or on the ground and garden until I am pleasantly tired. Rhino makes a good example: it costs just a LITTLE more but it is worth it: the handle is NOT thin and metal it is wood and a bit fatter, so my hand does not slip like it would in a cheap model. I have used it for years and there is only a few specks of rust on it, and the picture of the elephant is kind of cute, though the picture on the bottom end is starting to wear off (it is in the metal itself so it stayed on longer than a painted one)

Just as valuable as the hand chopper is the woven greenhouse plastic that I use to decrease the weeding that I do. I punch holes in it every 3 feet and every hole will take a tomato plant, or a bell pepper, or 2-3 corn stalks, or whatever. Every hardware store sells weed barrier but weed barrier does an inferior job of things, as it is thin and way too fragile.

Lastly, if it was not my feet and ankles that bothered me I would be going with long-handles tools to spare my back. Handicapped gardeners sometimes use a plastic pipe to plant seeds with and I have tried it: one complaint I had with it is that the seeds can stop on the rough bottom lip where the plastic pipe was cut. AND, then the seed has to be covered afterwards, which as a second action with either another tool or a scuff of my feet, which throws me off balance. Also, the groove had to be made for planting using yet a different tool. AND, it all could have to be very light weight for arthritic hands or no handicapped gardener would use it for long. I walk with a cane, now, and for me it is simpler to sit down when I garden. Still, I used to use a plastic pipe, and while I missed having a convenient seed cup it worked well for a bit. I think it could be improved on, *IF* you could figure out how to keep it light without it breaking when you went to make a hole for the seed! All three actions in one tool might not be possible.

Edited to add. I would KILL for a riding weed whacker that was dead easy to start. Right now my youngest weed whacks for me, but he does not do a good job and he will likely move out this summer anyways. And, even the hand held weed whacker is very hard for me to start. It whirrs for many pulls before it catches. And, it is awkward to maneuver both my cane and the weed whacker, and yet I LOVE the look of a neatly weed-whacked yard!
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I am sorry, I got confused and wrote down the BEST gardening tools, excepting for the last 2 paragraphs!

But, the weed whacker is the worst because it is so hard to start and they are not in a riding model, and then the plastic tubes that handicapped gardeners use to plant seeds without using the clunky weed seeders would be greatly improved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am handicapped, mostly in my feet and ankles, and so I find a hand chopper to be my favorite tool. I can sit on a light stool or on the ground and garden until I am pleasantly tired. Rhino makes a good example: it costs just a LITTLE more but it is worth it: the handle is NOT thin and metal it is wood and a bit fatter, so my hand does not slip like it would in a cheap model. I have used it for years and there is only a few specks of rust on it, and the picture of the elephant is kind of cute, though the picture on the bottom end is starting to wear off (it is in the metal itself so it stayed on longer than a painted one)

Just as valuable as the hand chopper is the woven greenhouse plastic that I use to decrease the weeding that I do. I punch holes in it every 3 feet and every hole will take a tomato plant, or a bell pepper, or 2-3 corn stalks, or whatever. Every hardware store sells weed barrier but weed barrier does an inferior job of things, as it is thin and way too fragile.

Lastly, if it was not my feet and ankles that bothered me I would be going with long-handles tools to spare my back. Handicapped gardeners sometimes use a plastic pipe to plant seeds with and I have tried it: one complaint I had with it is that the seeds can stop on the rough bottom lip where the plastic pipe was cut. AND, then the seed has to be covered afterwards, which as a second action with either another tool or a scuff of my feet, which throws me off balance. Also, the groove had to be made for planting using yet a different tool. AND, it all could have to be very light weight for arthritic hands or no handicapped gardener would use it for long. I walk with a cane, now, and for me it is simpler to sit down when I garden. Still, I used to use a plastic pipe, and while I missed having a convenient seed cup it worked well for a bit. I think it could be improved on, *IF* you could figure out how to keep it light without it breaking when you went to make a hole for the seed! All three actions in one tool might not be possible.

Edited to add. I would KILL for a riding weed whacker that was dead easy to start. Right now my youngest weed whacks for me, but he does not do a good job and he will likely move out this summer anyways. And, even the hand held weed whacker is very hard for me to start. It whirrs for many pulls before it catches. And, it is awkward to maneuver both my cane and the weed whacker, and yet I LOVE the look of a neatly weed-whacked yard!
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I am sorry, I got confused and wrote down the BEST gardening tools, excepting for the last 2 paragraphs!

But, the weed whacker is the worst because it is so hard to start and they are not in a riding model, and then the plastic tubes that handicapped gardeners use to plant seeds without using the clunky weed seeders would be greatly improved.

Thank you so much Terri for your input!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know any worse gardening tool. When we started gardening, we had no budget for tools because we just moved in and the house repairs consumed all our cash and we even had to borrow. My husband noticed the nearby bamboo grove so he cut a pole and use that bamboo for making a trowel like tool that he used to tend to the plants. Until now we still have bamboo trowels that my husband make once in a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know of a bad gardening tool, but one I like to use is called a Hula Hoe.

It has several different names such as a stirrup hoe, wiggle hoe, or scuffle hoe. It's a very effective weed killer. Plus you can use it to aerate your garden soil.

It has a nice long handle, so you don't need to do any bending to use the tool. The sharp steel blade skims below the soil surface, slicing through weed roots while leaving the soil in place.

Attachments

• hula-ho.jpg
    hula-ho.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 316

Ask a Question