Wood ash as fertilizer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wee wee can be used in your compost pile too, it helps to start every thing break down the pile, another good use it gets rid of moles, just pour some down the mole hole and they won't use the hole again and move on to some one else's yard.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am cleaning out my fireplace this weekend from the last few wood burning fires we had, so this post and remembered that I can put the ash in the area I will be growing in this spring to help build the soil up.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Woodash also called potash has a high level of macro and micro nutrients, those which are not volatile. My reasoning is based on the fact that during oxidation only the carbon is lost. All other non- volatile compounds remain. It is also a good soil conditioner and protects seeds against bugs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The alkalinity of woodash is something that can be quite useful too!
Since we remove plant material, in one form or another, when we grow-our-own, and use the left-overs from that plant to make compost, and since most plant material is slightly alkaline, this means that our cultivation is not a closed system, and that there is, in general, an on-going acidification of soil, albeit a slow process.
So, a little woodash, as a soil amendment, is a good idea in most vegetable gardens, in addition to its nutrient and trace element benefits.

I found this resource from Western Australia's, "Dept. of Agriculture & Food," which I think explains it well:

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/soil-acidity/managing-soil-acidity

Reaction score
Country
India
Wood ash is best fertilizer with potassium and lime content. But please note to use it lightly scattered since wood ash will produce lye and salts if it gets wet. These lye and salt in larger amounts may burn your plants.

Ask a Question