Wisteria sinensis

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
I was looking for trees with blue blooms and came across a species called wisteria sinensis. The Wikipedia for the plant and other sources are saying its a vine. Which fair enough,

wisteria-sinensis-chinese-wisteria_orig.jpg
il_1080xN.3679622764_i88z.jpg

Yet other photos I've come across for the same genus/species are obviously not a vine.

dde27ab06581ff6c0118ab3de6371472.jpg
A1Os1dfXHPL.jpg

What am i missing?

One more question. There's an online nursery selling a blue wisteria sinensis.

blue_chinese_wisteria_tree_cropped.jpg

Was wondering if it was a cultivar or a hybrid or even a legit plant at all..?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a vine and those pictures are of the vine which has been trained into taking a tree shape. Did Wikipedia also tell you that this is a nastily invasive plant and difficult to get rid of if it gets out of hand. It will handily climb other trees and actually kill them by stopping sunlight and in many cases actually girdling another tree and killing it. It is beautiful though. If I could I would send you all of mine. I have been chopping this stuff for years but every year it comes back from seed. I guess I should just use Cut Vine and Stump Killer on it but my wife likes it.

Last edited:

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
It is a vine and those pictures are of the vine which has been trained into taking a tree shape. Did Wikipedia also tell you that this is a nastily invasive plant and difficult to get rid of if it gets out of hand. It will handily climb other trees and actually kill them by stopping sunlight and in many cases actually girdling another tree and killing it. It is beautiful though. If I could I would send you all of mine. I have been chopping this stuff for years but every year it comes back from seed. I guess I should just use Cut Vine and Stump Killer on it but my wife likes it.
I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

If the tree can be propagated somehow from cuttings or some other form in unaware of then I would buy some. I wanted at least three for a garden design I had in mind but if they are that invasive I will probably have to reconsider their position in the garden. I also (apparently) didn't realize that the plant is a vine. Which I needed for a different part of the design.

How invasive would you say they are? For example if planted at the base of a wall next to a trellis with the intention of having the plant climb and cover the wall, would the roots be able to reach underneath and around the wall to the plants on the other side?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

If the tree can be propagated somehow from cuttings or some other form in unaware of then I would buy some. I wanted at least three for a garden design I had in mind but if they are that invasive I will probably have to reconsider their position in the garden. I also (apparently) didn't realize that the plant is a vine. Which I needed for a different part of the design.

How invasive would you say they are? For example if planted at the base of a wall next to a trellis with the intention of having the plant climb and cover the wall, would the roots be able to reach underneath and around the wall to the plants on the other side?
It isn't so much that the roots are invasive, it is the seeds. I don't know how they do it but they go far and wide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are well-kept and look awesome. Who ever takes care of those are doing a super job. The best I've seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
They're like bougainvilleas. They can be trained to grow as trees and as a vine.

Ask a Question