Winter squash and zucchini

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
As a gift from the seed company I order from I received a packet of "mixed squash". WOW! We had squash that I had to search the 'net to identify. Coosas were our favorite, but the Striata d' Italia were darned good, too. We had so much squash that I ended up taking between 20 and 30 lbs. to the food pantry each week. Those dear people were happy to get, and eat, the squash!
R.R., that looks like a recipe I need to print out and use. In addition to your suggestions, I think I'll try it with rice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
As a gift from the seed company I order from I received a packet of "mixed squash". WOW! We had squash that I had to search the 'net to identify. Coosas were our favorite, but the Striata d' Italia were darned good, too.

Did you have Delicatas? I didn't know they existed until I saw them at H-E-B last week. I bought one to use with other kinds to make squash soup, but when I opened it I saw that it was just perfect for stuffing so I yesterday I bought four more to make stuffed squash. I'm gonna research them, and if they're non-gmo, I'll try to grow some next year. It also depends on how good they are stuffed, of course.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I haven't had luck with winter squash, which a Delicata is. I think our "cold time" is too short. If you want to stuff a squash, may I suggest Coosa, which is a Lebanese squash, summer squash, with a very small seed cavity and a firm but delicately flavored flesh.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Coosa squash.jpg

These are three of the Coosas we grew this season. A squash this size will feed two people, and have a negligible seed cavity. There may be another name for them other than "Coosa" but that was all I could find in my research (and I'm better at growing and eating than at researching!).

Ask a Question